No announcement yet.

Boat simulation; issues with active body

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ah, go with the level of detail of the ocean texture and also the wave crest
    Svetlin Nikolov, Ex Lead Phoenix developer

Comment

This is more licensing issue, but as it's about this project, I place it here. I noticed Max session running this simulation had stopped responding during last night. I had to close Max by task manager. Now I'm trying to restart the simulation, but I get this attached error message. How can I get the simulation running again?

Comment

Looks like all of your licenses are currently in use. Could it be that you have Phoenix running on another machine?
        Georgi Zhekov
        Phoenix Product Manager
        Chaos

Comment

No it's not possible. This was the first thing to check before asking here. Could it be that Phoenix FD was not correctly terminated as Max was forcibly shut down. I wonder how to get the license up and running.

Comment

Generally the license server should release the license after 5-10 minutes. Have you tried again after a while?
            Does it help if you restart your PC?

Georgi Zhekov
            Phoenix Product Manager
            Chaos

Comment

It happened after I restarted the workstation.

Comment

Hey, when you go to my.chaosgroup.com and switch to the LICENSING tab, and then click on the Phoenix | 3ds Max licenses, does it show that any of them are in use?

Also, which version of the Chaos License Server do you have installed? Could you try the latest one (from LICENSING -> License Serves, License Server Version, and below that there will be an "Update Available" link if you are not already using the latest)

And finally - do you use any dongles or are you using the online licenses? Have you borrowed any licenses now or lately?

Comment

Yes there was a mention the license being in use, but I don't know where.

Anyway I updated the Chaos license server, restarted the workstation and it's working now. Sorry for the confusion. Just started yet another simulation process. I wonder why I'm getting very low amount of foam at the sides of the boat. However the propulsion liquid emitter produces more than enough foam.

Comment

Ah, when you click the license, it would expand and show you the IP of the machine that's taken it.

Does the emitter produce foam from a source or from the velocity of the emitted liquid? If it's creating foam naturally by velocity and the emitter introduces larger velocities than the ones on the sides of the boat, then sounds like you should reduce the foam birth threshold to allow foam to be born at lower speeds, but also reduce the foam amount to compensate for even more foam being created from the emitter.

Comment

Here's curve-editor screenshot of my latest simulation. I see, that it's still turning to the right however I'll flatten the curve before the final simulation, that will be done with locked activebody.

I wonder why there isn't any foam on wave crest when rendering. Yesterday, when I was boating on the Baltic sea there was wind of 4 m/s and on every bigger wave there was foam. Water temperature was 12 degrees Celsius and water depth mostly between 10 - 20 meters. In my simulation, I used 6 m/s. What is the parameter to adjust to get that foam?

Comment

Oh yeah - https://docs.chaosgroup.com/display/...les+Life+Cycle

If Threshold and Amount don't cut it, then try creating splashes and then create foam on hit from them - these are the two paths to creating foam naturally

Comment

I'm about to try simulation with fixed boat hull animation. Now it has one very long Phoenix FD simulator with maybe a bit too low grid resolution. I guess, there's no easy way to increase the resolution by changing the simulator moving smaller simulator and increasing the resolution. I mean the waves would not not be identical to big simulator?

Comment

Yes, it will change.. We have to implement increasing the liquid resolution with resimulation like you can do for fire/smoke

Comment

In the meantime, I was asked to do quick rendering job where I can use this same scene (Should be finished by tomorrow). I should do an image being half on open air and half submerged. I have searched topics here and elsewhere, but can't really find helpful tips how to get underwater look to the submerged part.

Comment

When doing underwater shots - the underwater googles option in the Rendering rollout helps a lot. You can find more about it here - https://docs.chaosgroup.com/display/...endering-Ocean
                                Georgi Zhekov
                                Phoenix Product Manager
                                Chaos

Comment

Working...
                                X