Glossy reflection fireflies

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Glossy reflection fireflies

Seems like glossy reflection fireflies are still an issue after all these years? I'm getting some crazy ones testing a scene right now with some pretty glossy metal. Unfortunately in VRay Next some renders settings that helped this issue like sub pixel clamping seem to have been removed. I turned down Max Ray Intensity to 1 even, still got them. It'd be nice to keep the reflections if the fire in the metal if possible. Any tips? Using Max 2021.3, VRay 5 hotvix 2, and Phoenix 4.3.01
    Attached Files

Increase Min Sampling. Try a softer Image Filter (like Soften at 2px-4.5px).

Try the denoiser (especially the post process one for animations).

Not sure, but you may still be able to enable subpixel mapping by typing this in the Listener Window:

Code:
    renderers.current.colorMapping_subpixel=true
    renderers.current.colorMapping_clampOutput=true
    renderers.current.colorMapping_clampLevel=3.0
    Set the clamp level t whatever you need.

No idea if that works. I haven't tried it. It will set the property for your file, which you will then not know if it is set or not should you do anything else with this scene file. Not sure, but it might also get cleared if you switch renderers. You can always just type:

Code:
    renderers.current.colorMapping_subpixel
    renderers.current.colorMapping_clampOutput
    renderers.current.colorMapping_clampLevel
    And it will tell you if it is on or off. (True or False)

( This is where Chaos will come along and say, "Don't use hidden maxscript properties," and I will again say, "Don't remove features... ever." No matter how incorrect or useless you think a feature is, somebody probably needs it for something.)

Let us know if you figure it out.
    Last edited by Joelaff; 08-12-2020, 05:28 PM.

Comment

Ah, and one more thing - make sure to use a Phoenix nightly after 21 November - I did a change exactly to Phoenix fire lights and glossy reflections.

Cheers!
      Svetlin Nikolov, Ex Lead Phoenix developer

Comment

Originally posted by Svetlin.Nikolov View Post
        Ah, and one more thing - make sure to use a Phoenix nightly after 21 November - I did a change exactly to Phoenix fire lights and glossy reflections.

Cheers!
        Oh, that sounds cool! What sort of change did you make?

Comment

The actual fire lights were showing up in the reflections, so made them invisible in specular...
          Svetlin Nikolov, Ex Lead Phoenix developer

Comment

I tried that subpixel script, no effect, I am using the nightly build 2020112630464...i'll try the latest latest one on there ...

Comment

Tried the latest build, same thing going on, if not worse.. still have fireflies everywhere, could it be a crazy value of the fire?

Comment

Does it help if you reduce the Max Ray Intensity in the V-Ray settings?

Is it possible to send us the scene along with a Phoenix cache file so we can check what is going on?
                You can either attach it here as a zip, add a g-drive link or something similar or if the scene is confidential you can send it to the chaos support mail with a link to this thread.

Thanks!
                Georgi Zhekov
                Phoenix Product Manager
                Chaos

Comment

Yeah, Max Ray Intensity still no effect Ok lets see if this link works...it's just a fun side project so I'm fine sharing it. I'm sure it's something dumb I did... https://1drv.ms/u/s!AvuE3OEoHv5Rgd4g...wuSGw?e=jQi9NC

Comment

Thanks for the scene, on it ! Will update the thread when we know more
                    Georgi Zhekov
                    Phoenix Product Manager
                    Chaos

Comment

Perhaps try the update script above (I changed the original posting). Not sure that enables the subpixel clamping or not.

Comment

Originally posted by Joelaff View Post
                        Perhaps try the update script above (I changed the original posting). Not sure that enables the subpixel clamping or not.
                        Well, now that actually did work! However...my fire is kind of dim and transparent now (some what obviously)...i imagine if i could set a value too that would help. But yeah not exactly an ideal workaround there...

Comment

Just sorta weird that Max Ray Itensity doesn't seem to solve this problem....

Comment

Originally posted by japetus View Post

Well, now that actually did work! However...my fire is kind of dim and transparent now (some what obviously)...i imagine if i could set a value too that would help. But yeah not exactly an ideal workaround there...
                            I updated that posting again with the command to set the clamp level (I think).

Comment

Thanks Joelaff! That is the answer....too bad they disabled it...pretty lame. I can tune it up and down now. Thanks a ton!

Comment

Working...
                              X