Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Phoenix FD backburner sim hangs at 'Starting GPU engine...' on render server if V-Ray GPU Next is the selected renderer when queueing job

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Phoenix FD backburner sim hangs at 'Starting GPU engine...' on render server if V-Ray GPU Next is the selected renderer when queueing job

Hi all,
    I've had this catch me out a few times with several files recently, will double check settings to make sure I'm not doing something stupid or see if I can track down any more info.

If I have V-Ray GPU Next selected as the renderer and queue a Phoenix FD sim via the Submit Simulation to Backburner menu, the job submits ok and is picked up by a render server but doesn't start processing frames and hangs at 'Starting GPU engine...'.
    If I set the renderer to V-Ray Next and submit the sim, it processes as expected. FWIW the same scenes render fine with GPU Next, once the sim has been cached.

Max 2018
    V-Ray Next update 3.1
    Phoenix FD 3.14 Build ID: 20190427
    Backburner 2018.0.0.3005

Thanks for any help!
    Jon

Hey,

Thanks for the report, this is a known issue and it is already fixed in V-Ray 5.

Unfortunately as the code has changed quite a lot with the time it will be extremely difficult to backport the change to V-Ray Next.

The issue happens when submitting Phoenix simulations through Backburner and V-Ray GPU is assigned as a renderer. Rendering should be working correctly.
    As a workaround, switching to either V-Ray Next CPU or Scanline renderer should simulate without issues.
    Georgi Zhekov
    Phoenix Product Manager
    Chaos

Comment

Hey Georgi,
      Thanks for the reply, good to hear it's a known issue and has been sorted in V-Ray 5, hopefully I'll be upgrading sometime soon.
      Cheers,
      Jon

Comment

Working...
      X