Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Motion Inertia - Lines/ripples in water from sim container edges (Maya)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Motion Inertia - Lines/ripples in water from sim container edges (Maya)

Lines/ripples form in ocean water sim when trying to use motion inertia. Is there any way to avoid this, I wonder? The lines/disturbance seems to be created from the perimeter walls of the sim container interacting with the sim.

To recreate the issue: Make an initial fill ocean water sim container with a displacement texture for the ocean texture, enable Motion Inertia, and then translate the sim container along the X or Z axis, or both. After a while, the sim will form lines/ripples at edges, and progressively move inward as the sim progresses.

In the attached image (using Phoenix v4), the white arrow denotes the sim container's translated path of movement through the scene. The red lines I've drawn help show the straight ripples that are being formed mid-sim. If the sim were to go for many more frames, it might eventually cause the displacement-texture water to become perfectly flat. (It did this with Phoenix v3, I haven't yet tested to see if v4 would get that far with its flattening effect.)

I've experienced this issue for a few years and am not sure if there's a way to overcome it. Any thoughts or possible solutions are appreciated. Thanks!

-------

PS:
    This video test sim someone did in v3 years ago (see YouTube link) happens to show water getting disturbed by the sim container walls/perimeter. I experienced this with v3 all the time, too. Although this container is stationary rather than moving, it may help provide some clue as to what's going on, since container walls are interfering with the sim:I haven't personally seen the issue seen in the video quite as much in v4, but v4 definitely seems to have an unsettled water issue of some sort still -- as the water tends to get progressively more and more unsettled the longer the sim goes. (I may make another thread specifically to ask about the unsettled water issue at some point; once I have screenshots to share.)

Yes, we've been fixing a ton of issues at the sim borders since Phoenix 3, but there is more. I hope I will have enough time to sit and root these out finally....
    Svetlin Nikolov, Ex Lead Phoenix developer

Comment

That'd be great, Svetlin. Thank you, kindly! Hopefully it all works out eventually
      Last edited by j_k1; 12-03-2021, 04:28 PM.

Comment

Working...
      X