Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Colored Alpha channel in postproduction problem

I have the following question:

Is it possible to save a RAW file in .EXR format with Alpha map pass/information for a Product that has SSS/Volumetric material with a colored alpha map (see attachments)? The background needs to be transparent in my case and when I open a RAW file in Photoshop the elements from SSS/Volumetric material look different than in VFB
    It is important that everything is in one RAW file, it's part of the current pipeline

Thanks for the advice​
    Attached Files

Hi, thanks for posting. Are you using VRayFastSSS2 material? Could you tell us a bit more about your workflow? How do you open the exr image?
    Vladimir Krastev | chaos.com
    Chaos Support Representative | contact us

Comment

If you load the EXR with the alpha channel as alpha channel, it'll load as mono.

Click image for larger version

Name:	image.png
Views:	109
Size:	38.6 KB
ID:	1179383

Views:	119
Size:	586.7 KB
ID:	1179381

Views:	113
Size:	95.6 KB
ID:	1179382
      Last edited by ^Lele^; 28-04-2023, 03:41 AM.
      Lele
      Trouble Stirrer in RnD @ Chaos
      ----------------------
      emanuele.lecchi@chaos.com

Disclaimer:
      The views and opinions expressed here are my own and do not represent those of Chaos Group, unless otherwise stated.

Comment

Thanks for the answers

^Lele^​ - yes Alpha channel as "mono" in .EXR is the problem here

vladimir_krastev​ - The workflow consists of 2 stages

Stage 1:
        2k prev from VFB is saved as .jpg and sent to client for approval (product + LUT + whitebackground - all in VFB)

Stage 2:
        After approval we render 4k .exr RAW file and in Photoshop there is automatic post production which gives TIFF file with 4x separate layers
        - Product
        -Shadow on ground
        -Reflection on the ground
        -White background

The problem occurs in VrayMtl for transparent materials with Fog color
        Translucency None/valumetric/SSS​ (colored alpha channel it appears)
        Attached Files

Comment

Also I found the information how to prepare the correct post production in Photoshop with colored alpha - and I need to do the following steps:

- invert the colored alpha channel - this way I will get the invered color
          - multiply the inverted alpha by the background
          - add your final image with plus operation to the background with already inverted alpha

The question is is it possible to save "colored" alpha chanell in .exr RAW file, because currently "mono" alpha chanell is saved

Comment

Originally posted by rafa_sopata View Post
            The question is is it possible to save "colored" alpha chanell in .exr RAW file, because currently "mono" alpha chanell is saved
            Oh, sorry, i had it backwards.

The EXR format specification expects RGBA, with Alpha crucially represented as a single channel.
            You can write an RGB layer with the alpha in it if you render Deep, and use the VrayOptionsRE to write it as RGB.
            Unfortunately, i don't think PS would be very happy with the format.

Views:	121
Size:	13.1 KB
ID:	1179422

We will extend the option to write an RGB layer for the alpha channel in non-deep rendering in the near future.
            If you didn't use PS, it'd be trivial enough to recompose your thick EXR in nuke from individual layers, in which case you'd have the alpha saved as RGB as a matter of course.​
            Lele
            ----------------------

Disclaimer:
            The views and opinions expressed here are my own and do not represent those of Chaos Group, unless otherwise stated.

Comment

Thanks for answer ^Lele^

Yes, Photoshop wasn't happy with deep EXR.

Do you plan to be exanded in non-deep in the next Fix? When can we expect this update?

Is there a way around this by saving the file to .vrim and then from ChaosPlayer to a RAW file with colored Alpha?

Comment

Do you plan to be exanded in non-deep in the next Fix? When can we expect this update?
                The change is planned, timings are something we'd rather not share as they are always changing.
                Lele
                ----------------------

Disclaimer:

Comment

Working...
                X