X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Phoenix - Maya - smoke not rendering or showing up when GPU preview is on

Good afternoon,
    I hope this message finds you well.

I've used Phoenix before (6 months to a year ago) to simulate smoke for a few car racing shots and it worked reasonably well.
    I've just installed the latest version for Maya 2023 and for some reason, I am unable to get the vfx to show up in viewport, via the GPU shade preview and sometimes they don't come through in a render either.
    If I set up a fresh scene, and use a preset from the toolbar, on a simple moving object, it usually works. If I add a fire sim and tweak the parameters as seen in one of the demo videos, to create tyre smoke as I did in the past, it doesn't work anymore.
    Often, the particles are visible in the viewport, if I toggle off the GPU shade preview, and sometimes they render correctly and I can see the fire/smoke, but other times, despite seeing the particles in the viewport, nothing comes out in the render.

This wasn't happening before so I am a bit confused. If the plugin has changed in some ways since then and the parameters need to be set up slightly different, is there a better help document/page to learn about these changes as some of the demo videos (such as this one https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9OoHgHmaGFM) don't seem to produce the same result as shown in there.

Many thanks!
    best regards,
    Virgil

Hey, is it possible that you updated your V-Ray version in the meantime? Phoenix has different installers for V-Ray 4, V-Ray 5 and V-Ray 6, so you need to make sure to install the correct one, matching the V-Ray version. Or are you using a different renderer?

Cheers!
    Svetlin Nikolov, Ex Lead Phoenix developer

Comment

Hi Svetlin,
      thanks for your reply. I double checked and I am using the correct versions indeed, also for rendering I am using V-Ray. Following my initial post, I am now able to render the simulations, but I still cannot use the GPU shade preview. I'm using a RTX 3070 and as I said, sometimes on a blank/fresh scene, it works but more often if I start tweaking parameters, adjusting things, it won't anymore.
      All best,
      Virgil

Comment

Hey Virgil,

Are you using Windows or Linux? Can you give us the exact steps that break it for you? Which versions of Phoenix and V-Ray are you using?

When the rendering breaks - are you using V-Ray GPU or V-Ray CPU for the rendering? Are there any errors in the V-Ray or the Phoenix logs? Here is where you can find the logs - https://docs.chaos.com/display/PHX4M...taBug-Logfiles
        Georgi Zhekov
        Phoenix Product Manager
        Chaos

Comment

Working...
        X