Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ploughing through mud (seabed) with a blade to 7,5 meter depth with Phoenix /3DSMax

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ploughing through mud (seabed) with a blade to 7,5 meter depth with Phoenix /3DSMax

Hi

I have a project that requires a blade to plough through seabed down to 7,5 meter depth (into the mud). The blade is 0,5 m x 7,5 m.
    I solve this by using a combination of particles from an emitter following the blade.
    Then vol.select (with soft selection) and push modifier for the seabed. This uses the particles to push down the mesh and it works good for shallow depth (Like wheel tracks and so on), but when I push deep the mesh requires so many faces that it slows everything down and it also is hard to make it look good.

I was thinking of using Phoenix (I have been thinking about TyFlow too, but I don't have it) setting up a liquid simulator and I have used this perfectly for ocean simulator and objects going up and down in the water. Now I need a seabed that is standing still and when the plough is entering the seabed it digs a row down in the seabed that slowly fills it self after. I have played a bit with Viscosity and Surface tension, but I haven't got any success so far!.

Basically:
    Flat surface
    A blade 50 cm wide and 750 cm deep
    Don't need to show it goes down, but only when it is ploughing at a slow speed at the same depth.
    The mud will well up on the sides (a bit like a bow wave were the boat goes through water, but keep the same form after the blade passes)
    The dig will will stay for a while, but then slowly collapse (this part is not the most important, but nice to have.)

Can someone point me in a direction for some info about how to keep the simulation surface calm and still (it have to be seabed and not water) and then ploughing in as you can imagine it will go.

Br

Hey,

How about filling the grid with initial fill up and making it highly viscous - for the viscosity the most important things are the scene scale, the grid resolution and the steps per frame.

Higher scene scale > stronger viscosity.

Higher grid resolution will make the viscosity weaker.

Higher Steps per frame will make the viscosity stronger.

So it's a balance between the three to get the effect you're after. Also since this will be mud and mud is inherently sticky - try increasing the Sticky liquid effect in the Dynamics rollout of the simulator. You can check how this looks here - https://docs.chaos.com/display/PHX4M...idandViscosity
    Georgi Zhekov
    Phoenix Product Manager
    Chaos

Comment

Thanks Georgi. Will check it out

Comment

Working...
      X