Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Slow Performance (Simulation + UI)

Hello!

I've been revisiting Phoenix after a few years, but I'm getting the impression that it's running a lot slower than it should be? Here are the main specs:
    AMD Ryzen Threadripper Pro 5995WX (64 Cores, 2.7Ghz)
    512GB RAM @ 3200MHz
    Drive's Read/Write speeds - 4GB/s

My experience is usually:
    - Simulation speeds of around 0.3-0.6 million voxels per second (regardless of size)
    - Using particle emitters drops this significantly lower (0.1-0.3), which is a huge restriction for the kind of projects I'm aiming to create
    - Impossible to scrub through the timeline (even with low-res simulations, it takes a good 2-3 seconds to load minimum)

This is happening even in simple scenes where I've applied one of the default presets to a sphere

Are certain features single threaded? Why are particles so much slower? What bottlenecks am I not considering here?

Thank you!

After restarting the desktop it does seem to be in the 1m/s range now, so it's probably related to all the previous work I had done in the session

But yeah, if there are any tips/tricks/insights into simulation speed, that'll be awesome!

Thanks!

Comment

Ah, in the latest official Phoenix 5.20 we have a new Simulation Speed rollout which shows what stages of the simulation take the longest, along with tips on how to improve their speed.

Cheers!
      Svetlin Nikolov, Ex Lead Phoenix developer

Comment

Working...
      X