ocean refraction problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ocean refraction problem

I'm doing a beach test and there are areas of blue refraction I can't figure out the origin of.
    Any ideas?

Click image for larger version

Name:	1.jpg
Views:	119
Size:	61.6 KB
ID:	1186835

Name:	2.jpg
Views:	169
Size:	64.0 KB
ID:	1186833 Click image for larger version

Name:	3.jpg
Views:	120
Size:	167.3 KB
ID:	1186834

Hey,

Can you try increasing the off-screen margin option in the Rendering rollout of the simulator?

The ocean is generated only in the camera view, which can lead to problems when using camera motion blur, using reflections, using refractions with Underwater Goggles enabled, or when the ocean casts shadows on objects underwater. This option allows you to extend the ocean further from the borders of the camera view in order to solve such issues. The value is a percentage of the image size.

Just note that this will increase the RAM consumption so increase it gradually until it looks good. ​
    Georgi Zhekov
    Phoenix Product Manager
    Chaos

Comment

Thanks.
      The final render will use the dome camera. Setting the margin to 10 seems to have fixed the wide area problem, but I can still see the blue where the simulation grid meets the ocean mesh.
      Any way I can fix that?

Comment

Do you have some type of geometry that acts as an ocean bottom?

If not - you can create a V-Ray Plane for example or a very large box below the ocean so that the liquid can be shaded properly.
        Georgi Zhekov
        Phoenix Product Manager
        Chaos

Comment

I have a VRayPlane but it makes no difference. I tried a regular mesh too.
          Would you mind looking at the data for me?

beach_002.zip

Comment

Thanks a lot for the scene. Here are a few suggestions:

1. Enable the Fillup for Ocean option in the Dynamics rollout - you can find more on what it does here - https://docs.chaos.com/display/PHX4M...ics-Parameters
            2. Disable the By free fly option for the Splashes - It is not recommended to use a value higher than 0.0 for ocean simulations because this might create splashes over the ocean surface or even in air pockets under the water surface.
            3. Change the Border Fade option in the Rendering rollout to 10%. In your scene it is set to 100 and blends all the data from the borders and this is why it looks wrong.
            4. Play around with the Ocean level in the Rendering rollout of the Simulator. In my case a value of 63 - 64 worked best. You can find more about the ocean level here - https://docs.chaos.com/display/PHX4M...endering-Ocean

Hope this helps!
            Georgi Zhekov
            Phoenix Product Manager
            Chaos

Comment

Thanks.
              I adjusted it but I'm still getting what looks like some kind of blue refraction along the edge. I don't remember seeing this before, although the only simulation+ocean I've made have been rough seas with little coherence.
              The beach I'm making is about 40m wide, and if I put the grid edges outside of that I can probably get away with it, but I'd like to solve the edge problem if possible.

beach_002_submitted_2.zip

Comment

Hmm I can't see any blue along the edge? This is what I get here. Can you show a screenshot of your result?

Your Border fade is set to 100 which essentially removes the waves and the sim, if you don't really need a sim, but just an ocean surface you can use the Pure ocean render mode, which will create the ocean surface at render time and there is no need for a simulation at all.
                Attached Files
                Georgi Zhekov
                Phoenix Product Manager
                Chaos

Comment

Thanks.
                  That's strange. Border Fade in both the first and second file I attached was set to 10. I opened up the second file again and rendered and the below is what I get. Could it be a difference in versions? I'm still on Phoenix 4. Where can I see the exact version I'm on the interface? I couldn't find it.

Name:	render1.jpg
Views:	103
Size:	43.6 KB
ID:	1187031

Comment

Ahaa, Phoenix 4. This might explain it.

You can check your Phoenix version of the top PhoenixFD menu > About

We did quite a lot of improvements since Phoenix 4, but if you're not using the latest 4.41 I would suggest to give it a try.
                    Georgi Zhekov
                    Phoenix Product Manager
                    Chaos

Comment

I'm on 4.41.03 which looks like it's the latest nightly.
                      So I'm stuck with this problem?

Comment

How about adding a box below the ocean surface and then using this as a mesh V-Ray Clipper - position it just below the surface - this should clip the mesh parts which are producing the blue tint on the side.
                        Georgi Zhekov
                        Phoenix Product Manager
                        Chaos

Comment

Thanks. I'll try that.
                          Unfortunately the scene I'm making involves going from the beach into the sea underwater. Maybe I can play with visibility to camera/refractions.

Comment

I found the cause of the problem. The Container Walls were Jammed. For "Fill Up for Ocean" they need to be Open.

Comment

Working...
                            X