Foam lives outside of box but doesn't render

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Foam lives outside of box but doesn't render

Please help. I've simulated a ship wake, the foam is set to live outside of the sim box and does so. But none of it renders outside of the box. Please see the attached images. I would appreciate any help.

3ds Max 2022, V-Ray 6, Phoenix adv50100
    Attached Files

Hello,

Would it help if you add an infinite plane below the ocean to serve as a bottom? We always recommend that because if the water material has a fog color, the renderer needs to know where the fog ends. So if there is only the liquid surface above, it might not render correctly and it would also need a bottom underneath.

Another thing you could try would be to change the Particle Shader that renders the foam into geometry mode - by enabling the Render As Geometry option.

And another suggestion - could you try reducing the fog density of the V-Ray material and see if the foam shows up? It's possible that the particles outside the simulator box are juuust a little below the water level, so if the fog is very thick, it might be hiding them completely.

Cheers!
    Svetlin Nikolov, Ex Lead Phoenix developer

Comment

Hi,
      Non of your suggestions worked, but you did get me thinking about why it might be hidden. I ended up lowering the ocean level under the render tab, and the foam was underneath! Even though I had made sure the simulated level and rendering level were equal, lowering the render level revealed it.
      Thanks for your help.

Comment

Working...
      X