Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Set interface license free when resimulation or restore jobs are is running

Hi!

It would be nice if PHX would free the interface license and just use a simulation license when a resimulation or restore job is running. Cause right now I have to wait until the resimulation or restore job is done to get back the interface license which I could use for parallel set up or tweaking of another sim. I dont understand why resimulation or restore requires an interface license cause during resimulation or restore its impossible to work with the interface - so its just blocked.

Maybe I'm worng but I think it behaves like that.

Cheers!

If you have a case where the interface is blocked - this is not normal - ping us, send a scene over so we can reproduce it and we will see what's wrong.

The idea about GUI licenses is - if you are running a simulation and Max and Maya is running in interactive mode, then a GUI license is needed. If the software is not interactive, this is a special case that needs attention, but it's not related to licensing.

Cheers!
    Svetlin Nikolov, Ex Lead Phoenix developer

Comment

Ok,

on the left picture you see my machine. Here a "Restore" sim is running. On the right picture you see my other machine with the same file opened after I started the restore simulation on the left one. You see i dont get a GUI license.

Click image for larger version  Name:	License.jpg Views:	1 Size:	2.30 MB ID:	1062666Click image for larger version  Name:	NoLicense.jpg Views:	2 Size:	2.14 MB ID:	1062667

Comment

Yup, that's right. Running a simulation in GUI mode of Max or Maya will need a GUI license. If Max is started via 3dsmaxcmd.exe, or Maya is started in maya batch, then a GUI license is not needed. Maybe I am not explaining it well enough or you are thinking about a different scenario?

Comment

Ok if it is like you said - how can I start a restore sim without taking a GUI license (... because I need to push the "Restore" button in the GUI)?

Comment

This is indeed the same case as with Backburner and Deadline, since you asked in the other thread. They start Max/Maya in non-gui modes, which I think also do not engage even and Max/Maya license.

Comment

Originally posted by TubeSmokeGuy View Post
              Ok if it is like you said - how can I start a restore sim without taking a GUI license (... because I need to push the "Restore" button in the GUI)?
              You can't start sims in GUI mode of Max on 2 separate PCs with 1 Phoenix GUI license. You can run Max in non-GUI mode in various ways - even if not through Backburner or Deadline. Here we have example scripts for different scenarios: https://docs.chaosgroup.com/display/...+a+GUI+License

Comment

Ok ok. Thats the technical background.

But my wish is, that PHX automatically detects when I run a sim (in GUI mode or not) and then releases my GUI license, because from that moment on when I start a sim, restore sim or resimulation, the GUI license is no longer needed and its just a simulation task running. I would even say, from that point on the GUI license is useless for me, cause I cant use it, cause it's blocked by the simulation process. But I would like to use it on another machine as long as the restore sim is running on the other one.

If the only way to keep my GUI license free while I run a simulation is that I run MAX in non-GUI mode, then I got to know if there is a way to setup and run a restore simulation in non-GUI mode and how it works?

EDIT: Ok you answered faster than I could reply . Thanks for the link I will check it!

Comment

Working...
                X