Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• mapped motion velocity effect

Hi,

I doodled again with wave force to get some more interesting interaction of the sea on boat hulls. Even if I'm starting to get some results, all I can say id that it is not very handy to use for this purpose.
    That said, I would like to ask again for the possibility to map the Motion Velocity Effect in the extra Phoenix FD attributes of an object. It seems to me the easiest and fastest way to get some enhanced variation of wakes, splashes and foam when simulating a sailing boat.
    Ideally, as I said some time ago in another topic, I would like to "simply" be able to plug the ocean texture into that slot to drive, with a min & max value, the motion velocity effect. If this is not do-able, my workflow would be:
    - Rendering a heightmap of the ocean surrounding the ship
    - use that heightmap an plug it into the motion velocity effect
    - so, when a wave is taller, the motion velocity effect is higher and produces a bigger wake/splash and we don't have a uniform effect on the complete hull.

Is it possible ?
    www.mirage-cg.com

Everything is possible, but in order to avoid the XY problem, can you please show me what you are aiming at and what you are getting?
    Svetlin Nikolov, Ex Lead Phoenix developer

Comment

Hey, thanks for the quick answer.

OK, today, when not using wave force, the boat interacts with a flat sea because we have the rendertime displacement. So, the wake (and obviously Splash, Mist, Foam) is kind of regular, even. To enhance this, we move the boat, tilt, rotate, etc. to simulate the movement of the ship in the sea. This gives us some variation in the wake/foam simulation. In reality, you have smaller and bigger waves hitting the hull, which gives even more variation. I could add a little bit of this variation by animating the Motion Velocity Effect of the hull, but that gives an even variation on the complete hull. To avoid this, I would like to map the Motion Velocity Effect based on the height of the surrounding sea. Here is a picture to illustrate my words. Is it somewhat clear ?

Click image for larger version

Name:	Motion Velocity Effect.jpg
Views:	190
Size:	60.0 KB
ID:	1130883
      www.mirage-cg.com

Comment

Soooo, why not add a Turbulence force? Or even several ones in order to have larger and smaller details. You can also constrain the turbulence to work only nearby the ship hull by using force tuning: https://youtu.be/oJEqnygpUqo
        Svetlin Nikolov, Ex Lead Phoenix developer

Comment

Hmmm. I will try that out, but the "play" with Motion Velocity Effect was quite nice When you push up the MVE, it really can give the impression the big wave is pushed away from the hull. Anyway... let me try that Turbulence Force around the hull.
          www.mirage-cg.com

Comment

Originally posted by Svetlin.Nikolov View Post
            Soooo, why not add a Turbulence force? Or even several ones in order to have larger and smaller details. You can also constrain the turbulence to work only nearby the ship hull by using force tuning: https://youtu.be/oJEqnygpUqo
            I could add the turbulence field and constraint it only to the nearby hull, even only the bow, of the ship. But I'm afraid it doesn't really help for what I want to achieve. It certainly gives a little bit variation to the bow wake, but I would really like to simulate bigger waves hitting the hull. Still testing....
            www.mirage-cg.com

Comment

Working...
            X