Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Please edit the denoiser to remove denoising layers after the denoiser has done it's job.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Please edit the denoiser to remove denoising layers after the denoiser has done it's job.

I mentioned this in the main forum already - but I want to make this point again.

When I process hundreds of large EXRs and de-noise them - there's no reason to keep ~10 layers of de-noising data on an already de-noised file.

Please remove these layers after de-noising.

Also, better compression options after de-noising would be nice.

These EXR sequences are getting huge.
    http://www.jd3d.co.uk - Vray Mentor

I think the idea with keeping the denoising data in the EXR is that you can do denoising also in Nuke based on the data stored in those layers. But I agree that an option to chose if you want to store those would be nice!
    Check out my FREE V-Ray Tutorials

Comment

Just to be clear - I mean the denoising layers in the files that have already been denoised.

I don't mean the actual rendered EXR files, I mean the EXR files that have already bee denoised.

Comment

Maybe I misunderstand again, but the denoising is only applied to the RGB_color and not to the individual elements. So if you combine the different elements from the multichannel EXR in Nuke the result would contain noise. But with the additional renderelements from the denoiser you can then afterwards denoise them in Nuke again. Or do I missunderstand again?

Comment

In order to generate information for the denoiser, Vray will write several layers into the EXR so the standalone denoiser can use all of those layers to accurately denoise the image. Those layers are render elements specific to the denoiser.

Once the standalone denoiser has done it's job, those layers are no longer necessary.

I am saying that frames that have been outputted from the denoiser no longer need those layers, and they should be removed to save space.

Comment

Does the standalone denoiser also denoise the render elements such as lighting, gi, specular, etc.? If it doesn't then those denoise related elements are possibly needed down the line for example in Nuke for denoising the assembled layered image
            But I would advocate to add an option to simply let the user decide if those are needed
            Last edited by JonasNöll; 06-05-2022, 04:12 AM.

Comment

If the denoiser isn't denoising then I don't know what it's doing.

Presumably if you are denoising in Nuke, then you'd be doing it all at the same time, not producing an entire separate frame sequence of denoisied images, only for you to manually denoise some later. It seems absurd.

Comment

It's pretty common practice. Nobody for example in a VFX compositing environment workflow will care about your denoised RGBcolor. It's merely for you as artist to preview the denoised result.
                For compositing you EITHER pass them already denoised renderelments OR you enable them to do the denoising by themselves using the data stored in the render elements so that they can handle that part by themselves.
                In your case you will pass them a denoised RGBcolor (which they don't use) with un-denoised AOVs which they also won't be able to denoise by themselves because the data elements are missing if you remove that.

Comment

OK, then it's likely you never use the denoiser and none of this applies to you.

Not everyone is sending work to a compositing team, some of us are just freelancers and small teams.

Comment

Alright, I think my missunderstanding is that you only seem to be referring to the standalone denoiser. Which you are correct: I never use
                    Anyway a simple option to keep or remove would satisfy everyones needs and workflows.

Comment

So does the original request only apply to the standalone denoiser? I didn't quite understand what exactly is needed.

Best regards,
                      Vlado
                      I only act like I know everything, Rogers.

Comment

I think the request ist that AFTER the Standalone Denoiser was executed the automatically generated passes from the denoiser are removed from the multi channel exr in order to reduce file size. (I would keep it optional though)
                        Oh, and additionally is there an option when splitting out separate channels (instead of multichannel exr) to also save those passes? Somehow it only saves the denoised image in the RGBcolor but doesn't save out the the helper layers (noiseAmount, WordPos, etc.)

Comment

Hopefully this (over) explains what I mean.

Basically, once the standalone denoiser has generated it's output files, we no longer need to have the denoiser elements in the files.

On large HD and 4k animations, all that data really adds up and there's no need to be so

Click image for larger version

Name:	dennoiser explainer.png
Views:	339
Size:	887.9 KB
ID:	1147521 wasteful.
                          Attached Files
                          You may only view thumbnails in this gallery. This gallery has 1 photos.

Comment

Ok, that makes it clear, thanks a lot! Will see what can be done about that.

Best regards,
                            Vlado
                            I only act like I know everything, Rogers.

Comment

Working...
                            X