Blocky Shadows

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Blocky Shadows

So, I was actually about to play around with Chaos Scatter, when I noticed I had some blocky shadows going on, on a default sphere. If I create a new scene, create a sphere and a V-Ray sun I get blocky shadows (as if they're not respecting the geometry's smoothing groups where the light transitions from sunlight to shadow) In this example the sphere on the right is 16 segments, middle is 32 and left is 64 - This doesn't seem right, or am I just going crazy? Oh, apparently I can't attach anything to my post so here's a direct link through dropbox instead: https://www.dropbox.com/s/6lwx9qtpa9...heres.jpg?dl=0

It could be shadow bias, try changing it (10x up or down) in the sun node.
    Lele
    Trouble Stirrer in RnD @ Chaos
    ----------------------
    emanuele.lecchi@chaos.com

Disclaimer:
    The views and opinions expressed here are my own and do not represent those of Chaos Group, unless otherwise stated.

Comment

Ah, of course - didn't think of that - default is 0,2cm - 1,0cm or above will fix the artifacts - however I don't really remember this being an issue out of the box? - can't check if the behavior is the same with V5 right now, but can check later of course.

Comment

Not that i know of.
        Perhaps the system units are whacky? It can happen on file open.
        I use cm/cm and if i draw a sphere in the default perspective window i have no issue (see attached) with the default 0.2cm bias.
        Attached Files
        Lele
        Trouble Stirrer in RnD @ Chaos
        ----------------------
        emanuele.lecchi@chaos.com

Disclaimer:
        The views and opinions expressed here are my own and do not represent those of Chaos Group, unless otherwise stated.

Comment

Hmm - I just opened Max again to try it out - all works as intended now when replicating... I guess it caught me off guard earlier since it was a new scene as well, and the issue was just there - as i was messing around with Chaos Scatter (imported Cosmos preset Grass Lawn 001 and then a sphere on top, with an HDRI from Cosmos as well, and the shadows were off on the sphere on first render, removed everything from the scene, created a new sphere and a sun light, and issue was still there) now when i try to recreate the problem - everything is working as intended though.. I must have messed something up earlier..

Comment

Working...
          X