Blend Material issues

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Blend Material issues

Hi, I am noticing issues with the blend material, where the UI doesn't update or doesn't follow commands or crashes 3ds Max completely.
    The issue is when trying to rearrange layers in the blend material by dragging and dropping them to different layers. (When the dialog "Instance" "Copy" "Swap" should pop up. Though the "Swap" option somehow disappeared now?)
    It then doesn's seem to rearrange and the UI seems to freeze or it seems to crash 3ds Max completely.

Using latest beta + 3ds Max 2023. Present in Classic and Slate.
    To reproduce just build a simple blend material and drag and copy several shaders and masks around.
    And please bring the "Swap" option back, it somehow disappeared?

Click image for larger version  Name:	WeChat Image_20220610120426.png Views:	0 Size:	56.5 KB ID:	1150675Click image for larger version  Name:	2.png Views:	0 Size:	72.0 KB ID:	1150676
    Check out my FREE V-Ray Tutorials

Hi Jonas, I've managed to reproduce it and I'll log it in our bug-tracking system. Sorry for the inconvenience.
    Tanya Todorova
    QA

Comment

Hi, I also found that if you for example change the blend amount of a layer (f.e. from 100% to 50%) and try to use the undo command, then the undo won't be registered (so won't jump from 50% back to 100% again)

Comment

Gotta love Qt...
        Lele
        Trouble Stirrer in RnD @ Chaos
        ----------------------
        emanuele.lecchi@chaos.com

Disclaimer:
        The views and opinions expressed here are my own and do not represent those of Chaos Group, unless otherwise stated.

Comment

Hey JonasNöll I've forwarded the second issue to our developers as well. Thanks for reporting it. I have a question about the unresponsive UI with drag&drop functionality as it turned out to be reproducible quite randomly on our side . Does it happen consistently? Does it happen if there is no VRayCarpaintMlt plugged into VrayBlendMtl ?
          Tanya Todorova
          QA

Comment

Hi tanya_to
            For me it also seems to be randomly working sometimes and sometimes not, I didn't manage to get another full crash again as of now. Following issues are consistent though:

- When dragging the base material to the coat material slot there is a "swap" option showing, but when dragging coat materials around there is no "swap" option showing up. Same for masks
            Click image for larger version  Name:	1.png Views:	0 Size:	17.3 KB ID:	1151370

- When dragging a coat material from e.g. slot 1 to slot 9 it looks like all the buttons inbetween (coat layers 2 - 8 are pressed and it looks like the UI didn't update. Same for masks
            Click image for larger version  Name:	2.png Views:	0 Size:	5.3 KB ID:	1151371

- When changing the numeric blend amount the undo/redo doesn't work.
            Click image for larger version  Name:	3.png Views:	0 Size:	5.2 KB ID:	1151372

So I would first try to fix those and see if this is maybe also the reason for the other sporadic crashes/glitches
            Last edited by JonasNöll; 16-06-2022, 08:21 AM.

Comment

Oh and one more thing:

- It's not possible anymore to drag a "None" shader to a slot where is a shader. Same for a "No Map" mask is not possible anymore to click/drag to a slot that has a mask to delete it.
              Click image for larger version

Name:	4.png
Views:	499
Size:	14.0 KB
ID:	1151374

Comment

There'll be layers of issues with Qt, it's unlikely there's a silver bullet for them all.
                Alas, thanks for the reports, they're truly helpful.
                Lele
                ----------------------

Disclaimer:
                The views and opinions expressed here are my own and do not represent those of Chaos Group, unless otherwise stated.

Comment

There is also no option to "copy", or "paste as copy/instance" materials anymore when right clicking on a material in the layer. It just shows a "clear" option. Same issue for the Blend Amound Masks:

Click image for larger version  Name:	1.png Views:	0 Size:	67.6 KB ID:	1152576

And when click dragging and instancing materials from the blend material to a free slot then 3ds Max crashes completely:

Click image for larger version  Name:	2.png Views:	0 Size:	224.6 KB ID:	1152577

So there is no way right now to copy and instance materials to other blend materials. This is all latest beta 2.

Comment

Hey, there are certain limitations with Qt which are not V-Ray specific, for example paste as copy/instance is not working in Arnold's Layer shader as well. We will fix the issues with undo for blend multiplier and dragging a "None" shader to a slot with a shader. Will take a look into the crash too. Thanks for reporting it!
                    Tanya Todorova
                    QA

Comment

These limitations can currently be worked around of by going one layer deeper, and copying/pasting the shader from there.
                      The same applies to masks, and for clearing specific slots.
                      Hardly convenient, but at least not unusable (while any fix may come through.).
                      Attached Files
                      Lele
                      ----------------------

Disclaimer:

Comment

Working...
                      X