Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Score in relation to multiple CPU

Hey all,

I am currently looking for some new render servers and probably one of the following two CPU are going to make the race:

2x Intel Xeon Gold 5220S 2,7 GHz (18C/36T) Tray Sockel 3647
    or
    1x AMD EPYC 7702P 2 GHz (64C/128T) Tray Sockel SP3

The Benchmark of the AMD (according to the benchmark page) gives results of 51.6k to 55.9k.

I don't find any benchmark of the intel processor, but I took the XEON Gold 5520 CPU @ 2.20GHz x36 as a reference for comparison.
    This one has one benchmark result of 37.9k

Since I am planning to have two Intel CPU on my board - do I have to double this Score to be comparable to the AMD score?

I just ran a test on a system I have running right now.
    The curious thing is that the benchmark software shows only one CPU and the result is 28.6k (see image).
    Does V-Ray downscale the score to be in correct relation to one single CPU? If this is the case, I would definitely have to double the score mentioned above, right?
    Or is the score of 28.6k really the result for the whole system (2 CPUs) - then I would have to compare the two score rankings mentioned directly without doubling the Intel score, right?

I hope I could express myself clear and you understand my issue here.

Beside of this: What would your choice be if you had to choose between these two processors and why? (all our work is done on 3ds max systems)
    Last edited by OPKJoe; 22-11-2019, 05:36 AM. Reason: gave an additional information about my software (3ds max)

Hello @OPKJoe,
    V-Ray Benchmark Next doesn't downscale scores, which means, that the score you see is the result for your whole system.
    As for your last question, I'll let someone more knowledgable in the matter answer you.

Comment

Originally posted by OPKJoe View Post
      What would your choice be if you had to choose between these two processors and why? (all our work is done on 3ds max systems)
      Chaos Group refrains from providing any hardware recommendations. V-Ray Benchmark tool is actually the step we took to help everyone to test how V-Ray performs on any CPU/CPU hardware and to compare or to get the information from the benchmark scores if he doesn't have access to the hardware. V-Ray Benchmark is the most accurate tool to measure how V-Ray performs on the particular hardware and you can fully trust it when making a decision. Why you should purchase one hardware over another one and why exactly, are questions which we can't provide an answer for. We could, of course, provide an answer whether the hardware is supported or not supported but we can't suggest why you should get hardware-A over hardware-B.
      Last edited by svetlozar.draganov; 28-11-2019, 01:40 AM.
      Svetlozar Draganov | Senior Manager 3D Support | contact us
      Chaos & Enscape & Cylindo are now one!

Comment

Working...
      X