Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

my 3990X 30% slower than other because Linux ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• my 3990X 30% slower than other because Linux ?

hello , I've just build a AMD 3990X with 256 go DDR4 3200 on SSD NVME EVO Plus.
    when we llok at bench result, 3990X with Windows are around 100 000 . Mine is bench at 70 000.
    There is a difference between Linux and Windows Bench ?
    GHiOM = Guillaume Gaillard
    freelance 3D artist
    www.ghiom.com

you have a very strange windows result. typical result with 3990x is around 75k.. mine is overclocked with pbo to around 3.9 ghz and i get around 89k.. the highest result ive ever seen with this chip is 100k..by an extreme overclocker. so unless you are running it on liquid nitrogen, or 256gb makes a huge difference over 128gb, theres some problem. (well, a nice problem, if your renders go that fast too!)
    Last edited by super gnu; 24-03-2020, 03:08 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by super gnu View Post
      you have a very strange windows result. typical result with 3990x is around 75k.. mine is overclocked with pbo to around 3.9 ghz and i get around 89k.. the highest result ive ever seen with this chip is 100k..by an extreme overclocker. so unless you are running it on liquid nitrogen, or 256gb makes a huge difference over 128gb, theres some problem. (well, a nice problem, if your renders go that fast too!)
      Thanks you , it was not my windows bench, it's the one i read on this website so ok, i'm aroung 76K now. IT's a good score thanks you

What is your cooling ? i don't want to overclock at this time, but i want the let it very cool and even if Cpu temp is around 60° 70° when rendering, Tdie and Tctl are around 90° wich seems a lot no ?
      freelance 3D artist
      www.ghiom.com

Comment

my system is here:

https://forums.chaosgroup.com/forum/chaos-common/chaos-common-hardware/1062404-the-smallest-biggest-64-core-workstation

so as you can see the cooling isnt an issue

what are you using to read your temperatures.. seems odd that you have 60-70 degree cpu temp, but a 90 degree Tdie.. unless you are reading the limit for tdie, not the current value, since i believe the throttle limit on these chips is either 90 or 95 degrees

Comment

I'm reading value from "freon" a linux tools. I've installed CPU-X and see that in fact, this Tdie an Tctl seems to be the CPu temp.. i don't know what is CPU temp from Freon now .. but . ok my temps are very high !

I have a be quiet dark pro 900 tower with 3 140mm be quiet fans ( 2 front in 1 rear out )
          For the CPU i have a NZXT Kraken x73 360 with 3 120mm fans wich push air out the box in top of the tower.
          My GPU is hybrid with a 120mm fan wich push air in bottom of the tower.

I had thinking that maybe i have too much air pushed out and not enought pulling in.
          So i have added 2 noctua 120 mm on the side ( my tower have a windows for 2 fan on the side ) to blow air inside on RAM , mother board and everywhere.

Looks like a little better but not a real change.

I think about adding 2 or 3 120mm fan in the AIO CPU cooler to make a 6x120mm push pull instead of 3x120mm push .

in the UEFI i 've setup all fan to beeing 80% at min and 100% at full.

Temps are going up very very fast, and going down very quick to.
          Maybe my cooling isn't the best for this CPU .. i would like to find the best one
          freelance 3D artist
          www.ghiom.com

Comment

Working...
          X