Weirdly Slow

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Weirdly Slow

So I posted one of the slowest results from my home system. Huzzah! It's an Intel 920. It's not a great processor. But every other test is between 4 minutes (I assume heavily overclocked or a glitch) and 9 minutes (sounds about right). I posted 14:20. But what's weird is that in Details in process viewer I see 90%+ utilization of CPU but in the Processes tab it was pegged at 60%.

Maybe this is my computer being funky but it seems weird that Windows 10 would report two different numbers and that one of them would be suspiciously about 40% slower than the slowest other result while windows reporting 40% underutilization of the CPU.

Is my computer broken and the Vray Benchmark just rubbing it in or might there be a vray bug?
    Gavin Greenwalt
    im.thatoneguy[at]gmail.com || Gavin[at]SFStudios.com
    Straightface Studios

what is ur intel 920 clock speed? if under default clock speed, sure will slower.
    www.archcg.my

Comment

So I laughed at your suggestion, then I ran CPU-Z and when I run the Vray Benchmark my clock just sits at 1.6GHZ (idle energy saving mode) when I run photoshop and do a difficult filter process it jumps up to the full 2.7GHZ. So something between Vray Benchmark -> Windows 10 -> Chipset -> CPU isn't triggering the CPU to get out of energy saving mode. Very strange.
      Gavin Greenwalt
      im.thatoneguy[at]gmail.com || Gavin[at]SFStudios.com
      Straightface Studios

Comment

Can you try to:
        > disable speedstep in BIOS, CPU settings
        > enable turbo in BIOS, CPU settings
        > enable High Performance power plan in Windows
        > monitor your CPU temps to see if there is any thermal throttling (~100 degrees)
        and see how it performs without the energy saving mode?

2.66GHz is just the base frequency and this processor can perform even better with stock cooling and Turbo activated (2.93GHz, no overclock).
        Last edited by ralenekov; 10-04-2017, 03:59 AM.

Comment

If you have V-Ray, you could try with V-Ray CPU production rendering.

Originally posted by im.thatoneguy View Post
          So I laughed at your suggestion, then I ran CPU-Z and when I run the Vray Benchmark my clock just sits at 1.6GHZ (idle energy saving mode) when I run photoshop and do a difficult filter process it jumps up to the full 2.7GHZ. So something between Vray Benchmark -> Windows 10 -> Chipset -> CPU isn't triggering the CPU to get out of energy saving mode. Very strange.

Comment

Other things you may try is to plug your laptop to power cord so it "knows" that it could put all the CPU power up. I had similar problem with my ASUS Windows 10 laptop.

You may also try the latest V-Ray Next Benchmark which have different mode of rendering and proportional scoring for better comparison between CPUs. You may find it here: https://download.chaosgroup.com/?platform=47&product=57 and results here https://benchmark.chaosgroup.com

Comment

Working...
            X