Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• UI/UX wishes for better usability and research

Hello,

I'm finding it more difficult to use the Vray benchmark results than the Otoy ones, when it comes to renting or buying workstations / render nodes. The Otoy octane benchmark results page layout is super clear and simple to compare performance of a lot of different setups compared to the more "leaderboard" style of the chaos benchmark results page. When I need to compare the relative performance of the best GPU for Vray, I go to the octane benchmark page. Feels a bit silly to say this but its much more useful for quickly making buying decisions and estimating RELATIVE performance. here's the page I'm referring to : https://render.otoy.com/octanebench/...1&showRTXOff=0

In my opinion, these are the key differences.

Show average results instead of max.
    (this is in another topic, and arguably the most important suggestion I have. it deserves its own discussion)

Single vs multi GPU checkbox
    This is so handy! Doing this for CPUs seems less valuable since nearly all configs are single or dual CPU. by giving the user the ability to easily show the single GPU power, and then show the multi GPU results as well, we can easily see where the number of GPUs starts to give diminishing returns. This is very helpful when planning what to rent or configurations to build.

The Bar graph layout is nice
    The bar graph display makes it so simple to see and make a quick visual estimate of the relative performance between GPUs. Its pretty great when trying to compare the performance per dollar between a few cards. I admit this layout doesn't work well when you show too many results, since you might have a quadcore CPU on the same graph as a dual 64 core. This won't work. But I still highly value this view when narrowing the scope via search. I usually grab screens from the octane benchmark, highlight differences, and send these images to our Systems team when helping them making purchasing decisions.

One-page summary for a config
    Clicking on a result brings you to a single page where you can see the mathematical distribution of all the results for that configuration. This is info much more valuable since it lets me see the min / max / and average results all in one page. And the distribution shows me where most results are landing. This is also really really helpful after I make a purchase and I want to make sure the performance matches what most others are getting. The specific details of a unique score, like the comments are less important since only some users submit info there and its usually only when they are tweaking/overclocking.

I hope these suggestions are useful for the future.
    Thanks for reading
    --=============--
    -DW
    -buck.co
    --=============--

Hi,
    first of all, thank you for the feedback! It's really helping us to make the application more usable.

I already answered in the other thread for the average scores, in summary, we'll add an option to sort by average scores very soon.

You can already select multi vs single GPU setups. You can even select the specific count of GPUs you want. This is done with the advanced search. Here are few examples:
    Multi GPU setups, single GPU setups, setups with two GPUs, setups with two different GPUs.

The bar graphs, and the one-page summary for a configuration are in development, as well, so stay tuned!

Best regards,
    Daniel
    Last edited by daniel.taskoff; 22-03-2021, 12:38 AM.

Comment

Thanks so much for the reply.

If i start with your "single gpu setups" link and then switch max to avg, like you suggested, its really great.
      Of course, i should have known you're already on top of it
      I'm very happy to hear Chaos is continuing to improve and refine this.

i'll stay tuned!
      --=============--
      -DW
      -buck.co
      --=============--

Comment

Working...
      X