• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• vrimg2exr converter

Since we get asked a lot, here is a link to the vrimg2exr converter:

http://www.spot3d.com/vray/help/VRay...2exr_14703.rar

and a short description of how to use it:

http://www.spot3d.com/vray/help/VRay..._vrimg2exr.htm

So far, saving to a raw .vrimg file is the most reliable way to get HDR information out of V-Ray and also to render large images. The converter allows you to process the results in other applications.

Best regards,
    Vlado
    I only act like I know everything, Rogers.

Thanks Vlado! As always you guys rock!
    rpc212
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

"DR or Die!"

Comment

great! really appreciated, thanks
      You can contact StudioGijs for 3D visualization and 3D modeling related services and on-site training.

Comment

Although I checked reflect and refract gbuffer, I cannot extract them from the vrimg. What am I doing wrong? They do appear in the Vray framebuffer, so apparently the information is present.
        You can contact StudioGijs for 3D visualization and 3D modeling related services and on-site training.

Comment

I think the only real issue with the vrimg will be that it is a very large file. So if you do an animation make sure that you have a lot of diskspace. You can always convert when it is done.

Comment

Yeah, they are indeed huge. Just did a 'small' test. vrimg 140MB vs exr 16MB after conversion. But then of course it is single layer.

Comment

Originally posted by Gijs
              Although I checked reflect and refract gbuffer, I cannot extract them from the vrimg. What am I doing wrong? They do appear in the Vray framebuffer, so apparently the information is present.
              What is your command line for this?

Best regards,
              Vlado

Comment

something like this:
                Code:
                vrimg2exr filename.vrimg filename.exr -channel Reflect

Comment

btw: it does produce an exr, but the information is just complete blackness. I thought that maybe it could have to do with dynamic range, but no matter how I change exposure, it stays black.

Comment

Originally posted by Gijs
                    btw: it does produce an exr, but the information is just complete blackness. I thought that maybe it could have to do with dynamic range, but no matter how I change exposure, it stays black.
                    Right, it was compiled against a newer version of the V-Ray SDK... if you download it again from the link in the first post, it should work for .vrimg files from 1.47.03.

Best regards,
                    Vlado

Comment

Yep, it now works as expected, thanks.

Comment

Yay, now I can actually open the stupid files.

They were so big that max would crash just opening them. Of course, I'm using the 3gig switch now too.

Comment

Hi Vlado ..

Rather than having an external converter, why cant we have a more intergrated save as ?
                          Natty
                          http://www.rendertime.co.uk

Comment

When the standalone is done this will be a non-issue I am sure.

Comment

Originally posted by natty
                              Hi Vlado ..

Rather than having an external converter, why cant we have a more intergrated save as ?
                              Because not all file formats support incremental and random saving of the image. In most formats, the image is written scanline after scanline, from top to bottom and left to right. That means that either the image must be rendered in scanlines too, or you must first render the whole image in memory, and then save it. In 3dsmax specifically, the API for saving an image requires the complete image to be in memory - which is what we are trying to avoid with the .vrimg format.

Best regards,
                              Vlado

Comment

Working...
                              X