No announcement yet.

Gnomonology Online...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

AWESOME Chris! Can not wait to hear you at DMVC this year.

PLEASE...PLEASE work on a "soup to nuts" LWF tutorial next!
    Brian M. Parker
    Cooper Carry Inc.
    www.coopercarry.com

Comment

MMMM ..... Soupy LWF nuts...drool

Comment

Cool Dude

Downloading now

Comment

Very good chris,

Cecil

Comment

Chris,

i've just watched this tutorial last night whilst waiting for some renders to finish - great stuff very clear and informative - could i just ask:

In Vlado's universal settings, he links the AA colour threshold to the QMC (DMC) sampler threshold, and controls the noise from this threshold not the AA one - is there any reason you didn't do this?

Was it simply for clarity of the tutorial - because basically one or the other of these thresholds (The Adaptive QMC AA clr threshold and the DMC noise threshold specifically) will overwrite each other, meaning they aren't affected, as they are basically are doing the same thing?

does that make any sense? - i've read it back and it's a bit of a mouthful, but what i'm trying to get at is that either of the noise or colour thresholds will control the amount of noise - any reason for not linking the AA theshold to the DMC noise threshold? You showed in your tutorial how some settings would overwrite others when maximum subdivs and noise levels are reached.

I tend to work in this way, and bizarly enough i've also found through day to day work that a setting of min 1 max 16 with 0.003 is almost perfect 90% of the time....great to see your tutorial and realise your doing it the same way!

Comment

Ive not seen this video, but vlado's universal settings are brute force and incredibly slow. I'd imagine from what youre saying it gives more control over the speed/optimisation.

Comment

Vlado did it that way so that there's only one thing to adjust for speed vs quality - you're totally right though, it's not the best way to go about things for speed / quality but it's not a bad starting off point.

Comment

the principal actually really isn't that slow - the settings vlado uses are a bit overkill (100 subdivs), but reducing it down to something more like 1/16 and just controlling the noise threshold (high values for quick renders) is a really fast way to work, even with brute force methods. It's what i use for test renders all the time.

my question was more why Chris used the colour threshold of the AA, rather than the threshold of the QMC sampler (as you can link them) - i guess it's just for clarity as part of the exercise (you don't want to be mixing all these different thresholds if they basically do the same thing and override each other) but just wondered if there was another reason i might not know about.....

Comment

Yeah.. I like to control the noise all in the color and just leave the other noise issues as they are. Vlado's method makes sense too, but mine works the same. I think you will find that in general you can go either way.

The practical reason why I unlink it, is because I like to control it all in one tab and I am too lazy to use two tabs...

BTW... As cublicalgangaster... Vlado's method directly can be slow. My tutorial shows how to use the Universal settings in a way that is more practical for day to day use.

SV... glad you thought it to be useful.

Comment

stupid question time!! The global multiplier will also control the samples for the IR and LC? When you set the dial to 0.01 what was the samples set to for your LC? I think the LC is not effected by the global, is this correct?

In your tutorial you say you can leave the global at 1 if your DMC settings get above 1,8. If you did only need 1,4, and so set the global to 0.01, you would need to take this in to account for the IR samples?

As you mention you do animations with moving objects all the time, you must not use flythrough mode for the LC, do you just have the LC pretty good settings and render it every frame?

Thanks

Comment

Working...
                      X