Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FMX follow up - V-Ray RT / GPU version

Hello,

Since there was a lot of interest in the version of V-Ray RT running on GPUs that we showed at FMX, here is some additional information.

First is a video recorded by Peter on the same machine that was used for the FMX presentation (the exact hardware specifications are mentioned in the video):
    http://chaosgroup.com/rdr/b52d8e24e6...3ebaeb776b2169

Next are some internal tests done on my own developer machine (the exact hardware is mentioned on the page):
    http://chaosgroup.com/rdr/d1be1a90cb...9d258f7f753cd9

V-Ray RT 2.0 with GPU support is expected to be released later this year, so expect more news soon.

Best regards,
    Vlado
    Last edited by vlado; 19-05-2010, 10:02 AM.
    I only act like I know everything, Rogers.

Good!
    VRay RT 2.0 ??
    If that, Vray for Max 2.0 will be released later this year together?
    Last edited by sandykoufax; 19-05-2010, 10:00 AM.
    :: twitter :: Portfolio :: My 3D Products :: ...and ::

Comment

Yes, they will be released at around the same time.

Best regards,
      Vlado

Comment

Very impressive, i can imagine this will be especially great if you have a client sitting besides you,
        making final lighting decisions or camera placements.

The marketing guys at the bigger 3D companys can pitch this like the 3D equivalent of a flame workstation
        and charge 1500 Euro/hour for "client interactive sessions".
        Reflect, repent and reboot.
        Order shall return.

Comment

Glad you guys didnt go the CUDA route, as it's really caused the Octane folks some PR issues because there was a problem with the CUDA library that caused some shading artifacts.

Anyway, as usual, you guys are doing a great job, and the future looks very promising.

Keep up the good work!

Comment

very impressive!

I would like to know if RT GPU will support dual GPU card or GPU network render, for example with an external Tesla box.

Comment

Originally posted by saudade View Post
              very impressive!

I would like to know if RT GPU will support dual GPU card or GPU network render, for example with an external Tesla box.
              That's a "yes" to both. As Peter mentions in his video, he used three GeForce GTX 480 cards. Also remember that V-Ray RT always works through DR in 3ds Max, even when rendering on the same machine, so no problem there too.

Best regards,
              Vlado

Comment

Also very impressed!! A question though. Can we expect the production renderer (VRay 2.0) to support GPU rendering as well? No need for renderfarms anymore!

Comment

f*ck n wow... dammm amazing... i am off to sell my soul.. LOL
                  Originally posted by 3DMK
                  do I want to be a rich business man or a poor artist?

caddworkx

Comment

OMG! Very stunning.
                    4x480 GTX for 1.600 euro (in 2 rendernode) and I've my huge renderfarm...
                    The problem is the VRAM. Just 1.5 GB it's very low for heavy scene
                    And tesla 3-6GB RAM is too expensive. And in some situation 6 GB is too low...
                    www.francescolegrenzi.com

VRay - THE COMPLETE GUIDE - The book
                    Corona - THE COMPLETE GUIDE - The book

--- FACEBOOK ---

Comment

1 question

Is it CPU+GPU, or just GPU? Any plans about utilizing both CPU+GPU ?
                      CGI - Freelancer - Available for work

www.dariuszmakowski.com - come and look

Comment

This is incredible, but yeah im interested in memory limitations too. I'm guessing you can't do forests

Comment

Hee... my dear big forest and city.
                          Also, another problem with the VRay-Rt (CPU and GPU) is that no plug-in work with it right now.
                          So, no VRayScatter, no BerconMaps, etc... Only what that chaosgoup compile for vray.exe.
                          www.francescolegrenzi.com

VRay - THE COMPLETE GUIDE - The book
                          Corona - THE COMPLETE GUIDE - The book

--- FACEBOOK ---

Comment

For the perhaps first time since 1991-2 when the x486 combined a floating point processor in the main CPU (which was a tremendous feeling!), we are now seeing a new level of massive, world-wide excitment being generated as we see our future unfolding before us...this time with the promise of true production-quality hardware rendering that is stunningly fast; especially when you consider that we are talking about the complete, production-ready ray-tracing/global illumination solution that is the Vray advanced rendering system.

It's been years since I can truly say that the next 12-18 months are going to hold tremendous strides for us in the 3d visualization business. I'm just happy to be along for the ride!

Sincere congratulations to the Vray team,

-Alan

Comment

is it possible to know the motherboard manufacturer used in the test, if the three GTX cards were embedded or connected externally and if one of these was driving the monitor.
                              I'm asking for that because the demo GPU softwares I tested freezed the graphic interface during the render. (quadro cx with 30" cinema display)

Comment

Working...
                              X