No announcement yet.

V-Ray Next Announced

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Unfortunately we don`t have top end gpus that can take full advantage of Next and also we`d have to upgrade our small render farm to gpu as well which would be 12x gpus ? Not a small investment considering the current price for gfx cards. Plus the upgrade cost of about £1500(?). Then there`s the gpu memory limitations. I think we`ll have to pass for now. Shame, but there you are I guess. If money grew on trees...
    anthonyh

Comment

In terms of the new features the NEXT is a bit of a letdown for us (not meaning in general, but simply me and my colleagues) as we are CPU users. Please dont flame me for this.
      Or perhaps its just a first impression it leaves in us.

I guess chaosguys cant satisfy everyone, but i am really sad i dont see at least ONE killer feature there. Adaptive domelight or new hair shader just doesnt cut it for me.

We have been anxiously waiting for improved VFB and at least the bump mapping fix promised for ages...hopefully this will be in plans for some upcoming SP of the NEXTs life cycle.

Anyway, i decided to jump on the bandwagon now with all the workstations and nodes we have (woudl have to do this sooner or later anyway) as i want to spend some money to futher support developement of my render engine of choice

And i will leave the final judgement once i am working with it for couple of months.
      Afterall we do loads on interiors and the dome light could save our time a bit.

So now that we have 3.6 and NEXT, how will the forum look like? When tackling problems, bug reporting etc? It might get quite confusing.

How will you have this sorted guys?
      Martin
      http://www.pixelbox.cz

Comment

A quick question. With Vray Next out, what is the likelihood of further fixes for Vray 3.x ? (3.7,3.8 or 3.9 ?) I assume most work now will be targeted for Next but will 3 still benefit from any fixes now ? I appreciate the new features won`t be included but bug fixes would be appreciated.
        anthonyh

Comment

Originally posted by PIXELBOX_SRO View Post

So now that we have 3.6 and NEXT, how will the forum look like? When tackling problems, bug reporting etc? It might get quite confusing.

?
          I would hope they would have separate sections, just as the beta for Next does now, though if you have a question or problem with V-Ray Next, I would hope you would mention that in the thread, so shouldn't be confusing at all.. For me though, it's just the latest version, just as it was with 2.5, 3,0, 3.5, 3.6 and now it's Next (4.xxxx) The thing is with all new versions, there are always gong to be the few that can't or won't be upgrading, either soon or ever and I imagine as with almost every actively developed software, those versions will slowly fade away. I don't see support for version 1.xx or 2.xx here, so, while they may fix a few things with 3.xx, I don't imagine it going on for too long.. Yes there are folk still using Max versions, that cannot the latest version of V-Rayt, as there are folk out there, still running Windows XP and even old Pentium II systems, but you simply can't cater for everyone forever.

Comment

Working...
          X