What CPU is best for V-Ray rendering?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What CPU is best for V-Ray rendering?

At the moment we have 6 nodes with 4, 3ghz Xeon processors in them giving us 24 cpus. We're considering adding more power to this set up, but want to know what in people's experiences are the best CPU's for rendering with vray?

We're open to single, dual and quadruple systems - just whatever is the most powerful.

Hi Biglolly,
    This insn't in connection with your question but I saw the name and was wondering if you are the Biglolly as in Belfast Biglolly ? Just curious as I'm from Belfast myself.

Cheers,
    TD

Comment

Yes, that's us!

Comment

Cool,
        All of a sudden I don't feel so isolated here in good old Belfast.

Cheers,
        TD

Comment

It's good to see that there are other locals on here too

Still wondering about the CPUs though.

Comment

Here's some thoughts

http://www.chaoticdimension.com/foru...ic.php?t=10560

http://www.chaoticdimension.com/foru...ic.php?t=10391
            Eric Boer
            Dev

Comment

100 miles down the road in Dublin
              (but lived in Belfast, did the QUB thing, ahhh they were gr8 daze)
              Tom
              Accept that some days you are the pigeon, and some days you are the statue.

Comment

Im from dublin too yay
                http://www.aidangibbons.com/

Comment

Cool

I was silly earlier. I thought we had 4 cpus per node becuase I saw 4 buckerts operating each time. D'oh! Wrong.

I worked in Dublin for a while.

Comment

Those 4 buckets are a big plus for Xeons.

Comment

how is the hyperthreading stacking up on the new version of vray?
                      We're a bit loathed to turn it on after it turned out to be the cause of our animation renders randomly crashing. Has anyone tested it out on systems that used to crash?
                      Digital Progression

Comment

Not sure this answers your question, but I render with the latest VRay to my Pentium 3.4 laptop with hyperthreading on almost daily and haven't had an issue.

I tie it in with my dual Athlon 2000 workstation and interestingly enough the speed varies -- when processing full renderings, my Athlon is faster, though when rendering quick matte passes (no lights, GI off, black scene with white self-illum material applied to the objects I'm matting) the P4 is faster. The laptop has 2g RAM while the desktop only has 1g, but I'd expect that would give it the edge in renders with materials and such...

Shaun
                        ShaunDon

Comment

the issue only cropped up on one still, the rest of the time it was animations that threw it out...i would like to explore it more, but usually when we're sending animations to the farm you kind of want to see them completed without babysitting...if you know what i mean
                          Digital Progression

Comment

Would our dual Xeon 3.06ghz processors have HT? If so how do I turn it on or off?

Also why do we have 4 buckets for 2 cpus?

Comment

Would our dual Xeon 3.06ghz processors have HT? If so how do I turn it on or off?

Also why do we have 4 buckets for 2 cpus?

You can enable and disable HT in the bios. But if seems you already have HT enabled.

2 physical processors with HT enable= 4 virtual processors = 4 buckets
                              Chris
                              The Revitlution

Comment

Working...
                              X