Is this normal?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is this normal?

I started a big scene of a deck of a cruise ship, and rendered it with version 1.09 of vray. I then upgraded to the latest version, but we didn't have time to upgrade everyone's machine and I had a few problems with 1.46, so I reverted my machine back to version 1.09

Now, I'm having trouble rendering it. It's coming out all screwy. Does my file contain information from the newer version of vray and this is causing the problem? If so, how do I remove this? All our nodes are on 1.09 (we're upgrading after this project) so I have to be on the same version also.

This is wrecking my head...

that would be bad. basically you cant mix up your versions. all computers have to have the same version. that would be like putting gears from a normal watch into a digital watch. sure they are both watches. but none of the internal parts were designed to work together.

---------------------------------------------------
    MSN addresses are not for newbies or warez users to contact the pros and bug them with
    stupid questions the forum can answer.

Comment

It would help if you showed us "screwy"
      Eric Boer
      Dev

Comment

Sounds like he's running 1.09 on all the boxes but has a file thats rendering funny that was possibly saved with 1.46 installed and now trying to get it to render in 1.09.

biglolly: did you make sure that you removed all the previous 1.46 files from the dir that max is installed in?

Im not sure but I dont think files saved in a newer build are compatable with older builds, but I may be wrong...

-dave
        Cheers,
        -dave
        â–  ASUS ROG STRIX X399-E - 1950X â–  ASUS ROG STRIX X399-E - 2990WX â–  ASUS PRIME X399 - 2990WX â–  GIGABYTE AORUS X399 - 2990WX â–  ASUS Maximus Extreme XI with i9-9900k â– 

Comment

Here's the scene with no lights, no GI, no anything, just a render out of vray.

Here's the screwy lighting.

I am running 1.09 on all the nodes at the moment. I hope I have removed all the files from the newer version - how can I tell what exact files to remove? Obviously all the files named vray.

I'm not using an irradiance map, just bucket mode here.

Comment

try rendering with out bucket mode as there used to be issues like that with it.

-dave
            Cheers,
            -dave
            â–  ASUS ROG STRIX X399-E - 1950X â–  ASUS ROG STRIX X399-E - 2990WX â–  ASUS PRIME X399 - 2990WX â–  GIGABYTE AORUS X399 - 2990WX â–  ASUS Maximus Extreme XI with i9-9900k â– 

Comment

I would try making a new grey vraymtl and apply it to everything and see if it renders ok, if so you will probably have to rebuild all the vray materials. (I think it is materials that have the most trouble going backwards)

It also might help to select all the scene objects and run the vray properties script
              Eric Boer
              Dev

Comment

But when you were on the new version, did you save your max file then? Because I think when you render a file in 1.09 that is set up in 1.46 you will surely have problems. See what IR map sample lookup mode is, because default in 1.46 it is density based, which is not available in 1.09 so there will be a blank space in that box.
                Aversis 3D | Download High Quality HDRI Maps | Vray Tutorials | Free Texture Maps

Comment

When I was on the new version I did save my max file. How do I correct this?

When you say rebuild all the materials, do you mean remake the material from scratch? Damn, if I'd known I had to do that I wouldn't have upgraded and created this mess in the first place

Comment

Did you use a saved irradiance map for those images? An irradiance map saved with a newer version cannot be used with the older one.

Best regards,
                    Vlado
                    I only act like I know everything, Rogers.

Comment

Nope I'm definitely not using the irradiance map from the new version. I have another scene now that I think I worked on on 1.46.12 and am not trying to render on 1.09.03r and i see it doing the calc phase, but then when it goes to render it just doesn't work.

I'm guessing becuase I may have worked on the newer version of vray this is causing some sort of problem.

Perhaps it would be easier at this stage to upgrade all the machines to the latest version? How long roughly would this take, with getting the license requests and such? We have 4 licenses here.

Comment

I've decided to go for it and upgrade all our machines to the latest version. I hope it works out okay!

Comment

Ugh, more problems

So I've upgraded everyone's machine to 1.46.12 and that's fine. New files I've created render out well and fast.

The old files that we worked on using 1.09.03r with however aren't proving to be as easy to work with. I'm gradually losing more hair as a result of this

Here are 3 images of a test render that worked fine before upgrading.

The first image is as the irradiance map was being calculated and then it started the render. You can see here that clearly something is up. It's so dark!

The second image is this render finished. Useless however as it's so dark.

Then I decided to bring this in to photoshop and just increase the brightness and contrast. There appears to be detail there, just when it goes to render it comes out all dark.

Why is it doing this?

Comment

did you have color mapping set in 1.09 that was lost in the move to the new version?
                            Eric Boer
                            Dev

Comment

I think it was at linear multiply 1.0 and 1.0 for dark and bright. But is that not selected by default in version 1.09?

We're relinking the scene and reapplying the materials. Slow, but guaranteed to fix any problems.

Comment

Working...
                              X