Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rhino to 3ds max

Hi,

First, I'm sorry, it's not related to vray but I hope someone here can help me.
    I need to import a 3d model coming from Rhino to 3ds max (I don't have Rhino)
    I would like to keep all the layers (or groups)

Can somebody can tell me what is the best way to do this import ?!

Thanks in advance

(Sorry for my bad english)

Looking online, Rhino has a 90 day full evaluation. Enough time to convert and save to `obj` or export to a cad format that 3dsmax can import like step or iges.

Comment

Thanks anthonyh

The fact I don't have Rhino is not a real problem, I can ask what I want to my client and in fact, we already did it !
      We tried obj, step, iges, sat etc
      The only one I can use is iges (however I lost information like names objects/ layers / etc)
      All the rest are crappy
      Perhaps it's something coming from the Rhino's original model but when I tried the other formats I got a exploded model in several thousand objects that have no hierarchy (original model is 64 objects)... they are made up of "surfaces" that have nothing to do with what should be the mesh object..

Anyway, what i'm looking for is more like the BEST workflow (!!) to collect a model from Rhino to 3ds max WITH name of objects and/or layers ...

Any advices are welcome ! Thanks

Comment

Maybe it`s something from the original export like you said. Normally 3dsmax will keep all the groups intact unless they haven`t been exported in the correct way.
        If the original model is from Rhino then at least with the demo you could load it and see if the hierarchy is still intact. In that case it might just need re-exporting with the correct settings to retain hierarchy intact.
        Is it also possible that it came from another cad program before Rhino ? If that`s the case you might need to go further up the chain. Clients aren`t always reliable in asking for the correct file type from designers/manufacturers.
        I had a lot of cad files from a client recently that had been exported as 1 solid mesh so I had to manually break apart all the surfaces by hand into objects (screws, bolts etc), it was a nightmare !

Comment

Thanks again !

I'm sure that the model come from Rhino... I think we need (my client and me) to go further in the export parameters. I'm pretty sure it's something to do with that.
          You're probably right, I will need to try the Rhino demo.

Yes, I thought about break apart the model by hand but I can't even imagine the work that would require for that !
          Last edited by rikou; 26-07-2018, 12:59 AM. Reason: typo

Comment

You could try to convert from Nurbs To Mesh in Rhino itself. You have some control over the density, edge length etc. And you immediately see the result. Then you can just export as 3ds. If it's not too complex. Or maybe obj or dwg.
            A.

---------------------
            www.digitaltwins.be

Comment

Thanks Vizioen,
              That's what I have to explain to my client....
              i will probably try by myself... I mean with the rhino demo.

Comment

On the plus side I just found out an easier way to break apart the collapsed mesh situation I had by looking at the cad again, seems I could have imported it with Material IDs intact which you can then Select easily from Edit Poly, it evens gives you a list, could have saved me a ton of work instead of doing it by hand ! Ah well, next time.
                edit: Hmm, I wonder if you can u select ID on the nurbs too to keep it best quality ?
                Last edited by anthonyh; 27-07-2018, 03:08 AM.

Comment

Hello !
                  after many many many tests, here are my results:
                  in terms of surface quality, it is without doubt the IGES that wins but I have not found a way to keep the names of objects, or their allocation of layer ...
                  in terms of organization, it is the obj (I have all my layers and names object) but the surfaces are not clean...

it's really boring but I have to search more further before deciding what will be the workflow to keep...

Comment

try npowers rhino to max or powertranslator basic. this allows you to keep all your layers.....and it is worth the money, if you have more files to translate....

Comment

Thanks,
                      For now, it's just a test but that's what I will do if I have to work with a lot of Rhino's files.

Comment

If Rhino can export as .sat you can import the objects as nurbs and set the meshing in max as autodesk build in the Brep-Objects by nPower (iirc). Usually I set all objects to use viewport-settings and collaps to mesh after I like the settings.
                        Kind regards, Wolf S./K.
                        www.faber-courtial.de

Comment

Thanks 3dwolf,
                          Yes, i didn't try yet (I don't have Power Translators) but if I have to import more and more rhino's files, I will probably try it !

Comment

Working...
                          X