Screens

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Screens

Does anybody have a way to do screens on a window? I have really tried everything and nothing really works. You would think that this map in the diffused and opacity would do it, but it doesn't look convincing.

Bobby Parker
    www.bobby-parker.com
    e-mail: info@bobby-parker.com
    phone: 2188206812

My current hardware setup:
    • Ryzen 9 5900x CPU
    • 128gb Vengeance RGB Pro RAM
    • NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4090
    • ​Windows 11 Pro

I've struggled with screens as well. They always look like transparent planes rather than a screen. In photographs, even from a distance, you can usually tell something is a screen even though you can't see the individual wires. I usually exaggerate the scale a bit (something on the order of 1/8" spacing) and add a falloff to the opacity so at glancing angles the screen becomes opaque.
    www.dpict3d.com - "That's a very nice rendering, Dave. I think you've improved a great deal." - HAL9000... At least I have one fan.

Comment

I'll play around with it some more, but I have been trying to make nice screens for years.
      Bobby Parker
      www.bobby-parker.com
      e-mail: info@bobby-parker.com
      phone: 2188206812

My current hardware setup:
      • Ryzen 9 5900x CPU
      • 128gb Vengeance RGB Pro RAM
      • NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4090
      • ​Windows 11 Pro

Comment

clip opacity with no filtering should help, but at certain distance it would just blend into single opacity like mass. I doubt unless you use water level displacement clip there is any other way to do this.
        Dmitry Vinnik
        Silhouette Images Inc.
        ShowReel:
        https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qxSJlvSwAhA
        https://www.linkedin.com/in/dmitry-v...-identity-name

Comment

We've had issues with finely detailed perforated panels such as this.

The only way we got it looking good, was ditching textures and modelling instead. The thing is, we had around 60 perforated panels in the scene, they were also circular perforations, with hundreds on a single panel. It killed the scene and took a huge amount of RAM, but we got it to render and the results were definitely worth it!

Comment

Is vraypattern still a thing? That could (have been) the go for this type of thing...
            James Burrell www.objektiv-j.com
            Visit my Patreon patreon.com/JamesBurrell

Comment

Reality too turns into a blurry mess: it's called Moire' Patterning.
              Depending on the size of the projection on screen of the grid/netting, there will be an optimal bitmap and output image filter combination that will retain the most detail, and past that point, changing filters will only lead to varied degrees of moire'.
              Cfr: https://docs.chaosgroup.com/display/...ndMoireEffects
              Geometry too will suffer identical destiny to textures, but depending on the filtering setup, sooner, or later than the textured version.
              With reconstructive filters being blurry by nature, oftentimes geometry will be more resilient, and stay sharp for longer/until the detail is smaller on screen.
              The issue will however then move to the render filter, particularly if animations are a thing, but not only (anything not seen head on will rely more on filtering).
              Last edited by ^Lele^; 08-08-2018, 10:55 AM.
              Lele
              Trouble Stirrer in RnD @ Chaos
              ----------------------
              emanuele.lecchi@chaos.com

Disclaimer:
              The views and opinions expressed here are my own and do not represent those of Chaos Group, unless otherwise stated.

Comment

Working...
              X