Rebuilding Textures (from Textures.com) within VRay Material Editor

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rebuilding Textures (from Textures.com) within VRay Material Editor

I'm attempting to recreate this texture (https://www.textures.com/download/3dscans0045/127218) in my model.

I'm using VRay, and I'm struggling to figure out where to put the different maps to recreate the texture. The maps that it comes with are:

- Albedo
    - Roughness
    - Height
    - Normal
    - AO

So I'm putting the Albedo in the diffuse slot as a bitmap, creating a VRayNormals in the Bump slot so that I can load both the Normals map and the Height Map in there. Then I'm putting Roughness in the Roughness channel and then I have no idea what to do with the AO map.

So far, this texture looks nothing like the photos on the site. I know I'll need to tweak things to fit my model in the end, but I'm trying to clone the texture on the shader ball so I can tweak from there, rather than my current issue of trying to create a serviceable texture in the first place.

So, where do I need to put an AO map (I've googled it and I come up with a bunch of stuff about VRay dirt and occlusion maps from a procedural standpoint, but not much about where to put an already generated AO map)? Am I putting everything else in the right slots?

I need to get a better grasp of when to nest multiple maps in a single slot (like when to use a VRay Blend instead of just throwing in a single downloaded map, or when to use some other sort of composite map for layering), but I'm still struggling to understand how the shaders work so it's hard to intuitively know when to dig deeper and build up from there.

Thanks!

The height map should be put into a VrayDisplacementMod, not into the VrayNormalBump.
    AO might be used to artifially darken the parts of the texture that are in crevices, dents and so on. This is mostly used in game engines to simulate some GI-style lighting. I wouldn't use it when rendering an image with V-Ray.
    https://www.behance.net/Oliver_Kossatz

Comment

Originally posted by kosso_olli View Post
      The height map should be put into a VrayDisplacementMod, not into the VrayNormalBump.
      AO might be used to artifially darken the parts of the texture that are in crevices, dents and so on. This is mostly used in game engines to simulate some GI-style lighting. I wouldn't use it when rendering an image with V-Ray.
      Thanks. It's starting to look better. How can I tile the VRayDisplacementMod bitmap so that it matches the applied texture in my Multi/Sub though? I have my bricks tiled at .5 x .5 so that they're a more realistic size. Obviously my Displacement modifier is tiled at 1 x 1, so the

Comment

Working...
      X