Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Animation: Denoise .vrimg's then save to .exr's?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Animation: Denoise .vrimg's then save to .exr's?

So I've got a sequence of .vrimg's that I want to denoise via the standalone program. The question is, how do I tell the denoiser to save out the denoised .vrimg sequence to an .exr, sequence for comp in AE? Have I gone about this the wrong way? There doesn't seem to be anything online about it?!

I believe you have to run the "vrimg2exr" program to convert your vrimg to exr. That might be your solution!

Comment

Originally posted by DanSHP View Post
      So I've got a sequence of .vrimg's that I want to denoise via the standalone program. The question is, how do I tell the denoiser to save out the denoised .vrimg sequence to an .exr, sequence for comp in AE? Have I gone about this the wrong way? There doesn't seem to be anything online about it?!
      Why did you render to VrImg?
      Just curious.
      Lele
      Trouble Stirrer in RnD @ Chaos
      ----------------------
      emanuele.lecchi@chaos.com

Disclaimer:
      The views and opinions expressed here are my own and do not represent those of Chaos Group, unless otherwise stated.

Comment

Originally posted by ^Lele^ View Post
        Why did you render to VrImg?
        Just curious.
        Yeah, I thought about that too. I had already pressed render though. I'm assuming you can render out multi layered .exr's with denoiser elements, and denoise in standalone that way? I haven't used multilayered .exrs before, how would one go about this (in general) and with animations?

Cheers!

Comment

Interestingly enough, Inho has posted something in relation to this recently.
          I rendered a few sequences and used the optionRE with dwaa compression and exr multipart option enabled. Now the standalone denoiser can't find the denoiser

Comment

That could be a bug, or it could be the denoiser isn't meant to work with lossy (read: jpg-like) compression.
            Remember the denoiser gets the noiseLevel RE, but that makes sense only BEFORE the lossy compression is applied.
            After compression, what was a pixel with so much noise could be something else.
            Lele
            ----------------------

Disclaimer:
            The views and opinions expressed here are my own and do not represent those of Chaos Group, unless otherwise stated.

Comment

That could be a bug, or it could be the denoiser isn't meant to work with lossy (read: jpg-like) compression.
              Remember the denoiser gets the noiseLevel RE, but that makes sense only BEFORE the lossy compression is applied.
              After compression, what was a pixel with so much noise could be something else.
              I'm trying to run the standalone denoiser on a sequence, starting "A.0000.vrimg". In terms of sequence denoising, this can be done to a bunch of .vrimg's right?

The web page help section states, in order for the denoiser to work a file name should end with .0001, 0002 etc. I run the command and on the file and it just performs a denoise on that one frame and doesn't then move onto the next one as it should. Is this a limitation with .vrimg's? Does this process only work on .exr's?
              Last edited by DanSHP; 09-08-2018, 04:53 AM.

Comment

Here is the command prompt and folder containing the vrimgs. It does A.0000.vrimg but then does not move onto A.0001.vrimg
                Attached Files

Comment

Okay I found another Chaos group help page that seems to explain the exact same process but provides more detailed instructions. You do no need to put in A.0001.vrimg, simply A.????.vrimg.

I initially followed the instructions in the link below...

https://docs.chaosgroup.com/display/...l+%7C+vdenoise
                  "For example, if the images in the sequence are named anim_0001.exr, anim_0002.exr, etc. and are located in the folder c:\renderoutput, the full command will be
                  vdenoise -inputFile="c:\renderoutput\anim_????.exr""

The first link can be interpreted as suggesting that anim_???? is anim_0001

Second link. Specifically the part highlighted in bold!

https://docs.chaosgroup.com/display/...l-Installation
                  Input File... – Specifies the .vrimg/.exr image or sequence of images to denoise. Wildcards (?) can be used to define a sequence. For example, if the images in the sequence are named anim_0001.exr, anim_0002.exr, etc., the question mark (?) replaces the digits in the sequence's file names. In this case - anim_????.exr

All cleared up now!
                  Cheers!

Comment

3.6 versus Next docs, yeah...
                    Keep Next as the better source, docs for it are done by our kicka** team in Sofia, which has new talent (and such talent too.) onboard...
                    Anyhow, glad it worked out (i think an * will work too, but don't quote me on this, try it!)!
                    Lele
                    ----------------------

Disclaimer:

Comment

3.6 versus Next docs, yeah...
                      Keep Next as the better source, docs for it are done by our kicka** team in Sofia, which has new talent (and such talent too.) onboard...
                      Anyhow, glad it worked out (i think an * will work too, but don't quote me on this, try it!)!
                      Yes * does work too!

Comment

ah, ofc i entirely forgot about this.
                        As of the Next release, running vdenoise from windows explorer, will present the user with this:

Click image for larger version

Name:	ui.jpg
Views:	259
Size:	54.8 KB
ID:	1006535
                        Lele
                        ----------------------

Disclaimer:

Comment

Looking at that interface, it could use a preview option ? Might be nice to see the result before committing.

Comment

ah, ofc i entirely forgot about this.
                            As of the Next release, running vdenoise from windows explorer, will present the user with this:
                            Click image for larger version  Name:	ui.jpg Views:	1 Size:	54.8 KB ID:	1006535
                            Yes this confused me as we are still on 3.6!
                            Last edited by DanSHP; 10-08-2018, 02:07 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by anthonyh View Post
                              Looking at that interface, it could use a preview option ? Might be nice to see the result before committing.
                              A preview how?
                              A crop, like f.e. DxO does, at 100%?
                              Any image minification would smooth the result, so preview of a big image wouldn't be usable if zoomed to fit the screen resolution.

Right now, the easiest way is to (for a sequence) specify a frame interval of 1: provided you rendered to a specified noise threshold, and the renderer could hit that threshold across the sequence (sampling was high enough), the results on a frame ought to be identical on all the others.

If you need realtime operations to figure out parameters (and likely, the acceptable noise threshold for your renders), they can be had from within max/maya, after the render has completed.
                              I'd rather not we blew the utility into a fully fledged application, just yet, with the new VFB on its way (whenever that would be.).
                              Lele
                              ----------------------

Disclaimer:

Comment

Working...
                              X