Exposure in Vray Next

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Exposure in Vray Next

I understand the Exposure button under Exposure and Color activates the shutter, aperture and ISO settings, but what controls exposure when it is unchecked? Is there some form of base exposure? This is not documented from what I can tell.

Would it perhaps also make sense to perhaps grey those photo settings out when Exposure is disabled?

If exposure is turned off then you're probably using non physical values for your lights - you can still get totally perfect results of course since we all want to end up with a well balanced image, you just won't be using light values that would be needed for a real world camera to get a well exposed image.

Comment

But how would I actually control the exposure of my image without using the shutter, aperture or iso in my camera? I'm kind if curious what the purpose of the Exposure button is.

Comment

Is this forum on death row since it became public? A couple of years ago someone would have chipped in by now, but even if everyone found the topic uninteresting there still haven't been more than 3-4 posts in General in two days.

Comment

Perhaps it's a remnant of much earlier versions of Vray, I don't know.. Frankly I would just leave it on and just go about doing what needs to be done... Then again maybe it's for people that don't use the Vray physical camera and prefer for some inexplicable reason to use the Max standard camera and that would be a reason to turn it off. Again as I say, I don't really know why it's there.

As for how you would control the exposure, I guess turning it off would mean, you would have to use physically incorrect light values a bit like if you render using the perspective viewport and not the camera view..

Anyway, as for there only being 3-4 posts in the general section, in two days. Perhaps the only reason for that, is that most people post in whatever section is appropriate for their question/problem and general is mainly for stuff that doesn't really have any other place.

Comment

If you have exposure unchecked, then V-Ray will try to use the current exposure control. If there is none, some default fixed conversion is used - I can check the exact formula for you, if you are interested (I'm not in front of a computer right now).

Best regards,
            Vlado
            I only act like I know everything, Rogers.

Comment

Thanks for the replies guys. No need for the formula, I was mostly interested in if I somehow was missing an alternative EV workflow as the documentation mentions the button, but gives no further explanation for its purpose and the alternative. I thought the period we used the Max camera with the EV automation by adjusting ISO was a useful option, so i guess I wondered if it had anything to do with that.

Congrats on Lavina, have some friends that attended that are very excited. Hopefully a 16GB is useful now that it can render out of core.

Comment

Working...
              X