Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New system.. can't choose..

Hi guys,

I am putting together a workstation for home use.. Have a dual xeon 2.8 in the office with 2GB ram and quadro 980XGL.

What do you think of this configuration for max and acad at home.. :

Pentium4 650/3.4GHz FSB800MHZ 2MB Cache LGA775
    IN-WIN C720 M-tower, 350W Black, USB2/Audio,A-Guide
    ASUS P5AD2Prem/2GLan/Sata/PCIX 925X/8CH/Raid//1394/DDR2
    2x Corsair 1024MB DDR2 2X62MX64 Twinx, Matched P,C4, DDR2
    2x HDDiaMxPls9/120GBSATA150 7200 8MB1pkbulk in RAID1
    Apacer Int. Card Reader USB2.0 14 in 1 reader/writer
    PNY nVIDIA FX1300 (or 1400)
    Cordless Desktop LX 700/BE 105 keys

dual VIEWSONIC VP191B
    or
    dual IBM L191P

What would you suggest and what is overkill and what not ?

looks good, but you might need a bigger power supply - especially for the new graphics cards coming out.
    LunarStudio Architectural Renderings
    HDRSource HDR & sIBL Libraries
    Lunarlog - LunarStudio and HDRSource Blog

Comment

Yeah i would definitly get a better PSU. They are quite important. See if you can get a Antec True Power 450w or something. I personally have a 550w

Comment

I would get this baby :http://global.shuttle.com/Product/Ba...SB95P%20V2.asp
        right now I have http://global.shuttle.com/Product/ba...ew.asp?B_id=23
        with 2gb ram, Quadro fx1000, WD Raptor 74GB and Seagate 120GB and I love it. Like they say size doesn't matter=)
        Luke Szeflinski
        :: www.lukx.com cgi

Comment

Out of curiosity, do you suppose a Quadro is better than having two PCI Xpress Nvidia 6000 series?
          LunarStudio Architectural Renderings
          HDRSource HDR & sIBL Libraries
          Lunarlog - LunarStudio and HDRSource Blog

Comment

Hey Nicolaas, i got same specs except your PWS,
            i got 4 CD writers on RAID, PCX 256Mb with 12V plug.
            350W is not enough, get atleast 450W...

Comment

to ezrhythm:-> Well well.. and did you buy an nvidia fx ? or geforce ?
              My hardware supplier is gonna gimme a high end gaming card to try out and if it doesn't work good I'm gonna get the fx1300..

I raised my power supply to 470W..

to lukx:-> Asked my hardware supplier.. very nice cases...

Nicolaas

Comment

Out of curiosity, do you suppose a Quadro is better than having two PCI Xpress Nvidia 6000 series?
                Actually, I think maybe two geforce 6800 GTs or ultras(not the ones with 128bit memory bandwidth, but the 256bit ones) in sli might outperform the top quadro cards. In tests, it's the cpu holding this set-up back on performance, so no one really knows how well they perform, as there are no cpus currently that give them the leeway necessary.
                Signing out,
                Christian

Comment

Actually, I think maybe two geforce 6800 GTs or ultras(not the ones with 128bit memory bandwidth, but the 256bit ones) in sli might outperform the top quadro cards. In tests, it's the cpu holding this set-up back on performance, so no one really knows how well they perform, as there are no cpus currently that give them the leeway necessary.
                  i dont think so, quadro cards are using optimized driver code and accelerator capabilities which are locked in geforce cards (both are using the same gpu). you might outperform a FX1x00 with a 6800GT SLI setup, but never a FX4000.
                  http://www.eldaco.net

Comment

Well my point was that there has been no way to find out as today's top-end systems cant feed the sli cards with enough data, so all results are capped from cpu load. This obviously isn't the case with the fx4000 afaik.
                    Signing out,
                    Christian

Comment

lol! dont buy a quadro!!

they are a hugely overpriced product, as the previous post said, they are the same chip as geforce.

if you go to: www.guru3d.com, and download rivatuner, you can converty a standard 6800 (not even ultra) to a quadro fx4000.

if you convert an ultra, you actually get a higher clocked fx4000 than the one they sell for 3000 dollars.

once you have unlocked the card (a simple pair of tickboxes and a reboot) you can install the maxstreme drivers for max and get a whacking speedup in your work!

its the bizness.

u may want to check their forums at guru3d for tips, coz some cards work better than others for this. looks like people have problems on certain brands, although i have a 6800 standard at work (msi) which converted fine, as did my pci-e 6800 ultra at home.

damn... never buy a quadro!

even if you didnt convert it, for the price of a 6800 ultra, you get a pretty crappy quadro.. id be willing to bet that the ultra would outperform the equivalent price quadro, right out the box, fancy drivers or not.

(having said that, had a problem with the 6800 and multiple copies of max open at once, the vierport performance was TERRIBLE in the 2nd or 3rd copy of max you opened. )
                      the rivatuner/softquadro hack fixed that problem too..

Comment

if people have 6800's and want to do this, u can find tips on the guru3d forum, but if enough people want to know, i can post a quick tutorial.

(i aint promising it will work mind, i know it sometimes dont.)[/i]

Comment

p.s. the hacked cards are slightly slower in games and stuff, and there are some issues with my tv tuner card too, but since u can just untick the box and reboot to revert, it dont matter a bit.

Comment

also, it works on all geforce cards right down to the original geforce 256

(obviously that wont be a fx4000, (the equivalent quadro then was made only by elsa, and called the gloria 2) those were the days!

Comment

and I like my quadro fx1000 :P
                              Luke Szeflinski
                              :: www.lukx.com cgi

Comment

Working...
                              X