Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Backburner progressive renders timing out and restarting. RAM?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Backburner progressive renders timing out and restarting. RAM?

I have a long render I'm trying to do and backburner keeps giving "ping timeout error" and restarting* it after several hours. The scene is not super optimized but that's another issue.

This thread https://forums.autodesk.com/t5/3ds-m...135642#M139053 suggests it can be an issue if V-ray's dynamic memory use it set to 0.
    Is this correct?
    Will V-ray be basing its RAM allocation on the render node, or on the workstation that the render is launched from?
    My workstation has 64gig RAM, my render node has 32.

*off topic, but if anyone knows how to stop Backburner restarting automatically and thus overwriting my progressive .vrimg, that'd be awesome too

Cheers

Have you checked the advanced settings when loading a job? BB has 10hours as the max rendertime unless you change it. Thats usually been the issue with me.

Comment

Yep I've tried setting it to 9999, and also switching that timeout setting off entirely. Doesn't seem to help. I'll get about 7 hours in and find backburner has thrown a ping timeout and restarted.

However, setting V-ray's dynamic memory usage to 28gb seems to resolve it.
      Of course, it means I have to remember to set it back when I render on the workstation.
      Last edited by Richard7666; 21-08-2018, 05:15 AM.

Comment

I think Ive had that happen to me recently on overnight renders. Didn't give it much thought tbh and sent it to a different node. Just assumed it might have been a windows / network issue as the other shots all rendered fine on same specced nodes.

@ the powers that be, does a progressive render use more ram the longer it renders? I assumed that once its loaded and has done the 1st pass ram usage wouldnt increase.

Comment

Hello,

Setting the memory limit to 0 means that V-Ray will use as much memory as needed no matter how much you actually have in the computer so if your scene requires more than 32 gigs of RAM it will render fine on your workstation but on the slave it might start swapping to disk which will lead to very long render times.

Progressive doesn't use more memory if you render longer. Once the render starts and the required geometry and textures are loaded memory usage shouldn't grow much.

Best regards,
          Yavor
          Yavor Rubenov
          V-Ray for 3ds Max developer

Comment

Working...
          X