Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• vray next update causes problems

Hello together,

at this time we are working with 3ds max 2016 and vray 3.6.
    Now we want to update our machines to 3ds max 2019 and vray next.
    So we did two test installations with 3ds max 2019, the one with vray next and the other with vray 3.6
    We do a lot of interior renderings and have to keep them reproducable. These scenes are rendered with hdri in domelight, skylight portals and some vray plane lights.

If we open up the old 2016 scene file and rerender the image there are some problems we didn`t expect with vray next:

1) vray next renders all images significantly darker than vray 3.6. This seems to depend from the gi calculation. (irradiance map / light cache)
    This is a big problem for us, because the scenes have to be reproducable...

2) In most of our scenes vray next / max 2019 renders the scene slower than vray 3.6 / max 2019. I thougt it should get faster?
    Do I have to delete the skylight portals and acivate the adaptive domelight option?

3) In some cases the rendering hangs extremly long so that we have to cancel it (vray fur and vray displacement).

4) In some scenes max 2019 isn`t responding anymore. I have read that the low thread priority is now the default value. Is there any other practical possibility to keep max awake while rendering?

Does anyone here has similar problems or solutions for this issues?

Thanks a lot and best regards,
    Stefan

Hi Stefan
    We're also having this problem, (Point 3&4) and I have no idea why either.
    max 2019v3, Vray next update 1.1.
    Rendering a test scene with a plane, Vray sun and forest pack meadows. PhysicalCamera
    Starts rendering fine, then max will hang (Circle of death) and we have to force close the session.
    Using only 2 gig of Ram.

Whilst writing, i tested something.

Very high render settings caused the hang, but lowering the settings (yes, not ideal) renders the scene fine
    Need to find that happy medium.

Troy

Comment

Originally posted by 3D Betrieb View Post
      1) vray next renders all images significantly darker than vray 3.6. This seems to depend from the gi calculation. (irradiance map / light cache)
      This is a big problem for us, because the scenes have to be reproducable...
      This is not expected. Can you get me a scene like this to vlado@chaosgroup.com so that we can check what's wrong?

2) In most of our scenes vray next / max 2019 renders the scene slower than vray 3.6 / max 2019. I thougt it should get faster? Do I have to delete the skylight portals and acivate the adaptive domelight option?
      If they render with different intensity (darker/brigher) then it is likely that the render time will also be different. If this is not the case, can you check if the noise level is the same too? If yes, and the render time is still slower, it would be best to get me a scene to investigate.

3) In some cases the rendering hangs extremly long so that we have to cancel it (vray fur and vray displacement).
      Again, a scene will be helpful. So far this issue has not been reported, so it would be good to check what happens.

4) In some scenes max 2019 isn`t responding anymore. I have read that the low thread priority is now the default value. Is there any other practical possibility to keep max awake while rendering?
      Is this ok with V-Ray 3.6? There is some solution that we are experimenting with about this, but I'm curious if it worked fine before.

Best regards,
      Vlado
      I only act like I know everything, Rogers.

Comment

Hi,

been having the same problem. Seen this thread and thought I'd jump in and ask if this was an actual issue or setting/option that was missed.

I am getting very dark renders with Hdri lighting.

michael

Comment

I think the issue was caused by a VRayExposureControl plugin in conjunction with a Physical Camera, in which case both exposures were multiplied together in V-Ray 3.x whereas the intention was for the physical camera exposure to take precedence.

Best regards,
          Vlado

Comment

Hi Valdo,

What was the solution to that issue? Is this even an issue in next?

Michael

Comment

This particular case was a bug in V-Ray 3.x actually; we simply fixed it in V-Ray Next, but it did cause such scenes to render differently. The solution is to adjust the camera exposure itself to the needed level.

Best regards,
              Vlado

Comment

I also had this problem (old scenes render much darker). When I turn off GI, it almost makes no difference in brightness. So it looks like GI isn't calculated in these old scenes. When I merge my file into a fresh scene, all is working fine.
                Aversis 3D | Download High Quality HDRI Maps | Vray Tutorials | Free Texture Maps

Comment

Working...
                X