No announcement yet.

Attaching imported CAD objects breaks normals

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

There is a second solution though: After opening the file, convert both parts to edit mesh by right clicking---> convert to edit mesh. Then collapse both parts using the single object mode in conjunction with the collapse utility. One of the objects will have it's normals rotated, not flipped. You can check by appliying and edit normals modifier on top (adjust display length as needed). Select all the normals of the object with rotated normals, and then rotate them. Depending on which object has the normals messed up (seems to be random), the value is either 90° or -90° on the Z-axis. All normals will be pointing into the same direction now.

Click image for larger version

Name:	normals_01.JPG
Views:	237
Size:	113.2 KB
ID:	1016176

Click image for larger version

Name:	normals_02.JPG
Views:	241
Size:	110.7 KB
ID:	1016175
    https://www.behance.net/Oliver_Kossatz

Comment

Originally posted by kosso_olli View Post
      Indeed, attaching the body objects and then converting works as expected.
      Personally, I decided not to use the body objects, because they are ancient. The implementation is not up to date. I prefer the tesselated method on IGES/STEP import. This might not be necessary with these two parts. However, if you have to deal with 1000 parts imported as body objects, Max will simply stall.
      If by "tesselated" you mean turning on "convert to mesh" at the import dialog, I tried that and it still causes the normals problem.

Originally posted by kosso_olli View Post
      There is a second solution though: After opening the file, convert both parts to edit mesh by right clicking---> convert to edit mesh. Then collapse both parts using the single object mode in conjunction with the collapse utility. One of the objects will have it's normals rotated, not flipped. You can check by appliying and edit normals modifier on top (adjust display length as needed). Select all the normals of the object with rotated normals, and then rotate them. Depending on which object has the normals messed up (seems to be random), the value is either 90° or -90° on the Z-axis. All normals will be pointing into the same direction now.
      This actually worked! Thank you SO much! You seem to know your normals.
      Last edited by Alex_M; 05-11-2018, 11:08 AM.
      Aleksandar Mitov
      www.renarvisuals.com
      office@renarvisuals.com

3ds Max 2023.2.2 + Vray 6 Update 2.1
      AMD Ryzen 9 9950X 16-core
      64GB DDR5
      GeForce RTX 3090 24GB + GPU Driver 551.86

Comment

Originally posted by Alex_M View Post
        If by "tesselated" you mean turning on "convert to mesh" at the import dialog, I tried that and it still causes the normals problem.

This actually worked! Thank you SO much! You seem to know your normals.
        Yes, indeed. There hardly is a problem regarding normals that can not be fixed in Max. That's actually what I like about Max in favor of other packages: It can deal with any kind of file format and it has a lot of tools to fix every problem. You just have to know where the various tools are hiding.
        Edit normals modifier comes in handy if you get visible seams between surface patches by the way. In this case you will find two or more vertex normals per vertex along the seam, each showing in slightly different directions. Simply copy the value of one if these normals, and paste it to the "outliers". Depending on the tesselation and the size of the seam this might be a tedious process, but sometimes it is the only option...

https://www.behance.net/Oliver_Kossatz

Comment

Btw, can you share original cad ?
          I just can't seem to trust myself
          So what chance does that leave, for anyone else?
          ---------------------------------------------------------
          CG Artist

Comment

You can download it from the CAD.zip archive attached in this post.
            Aleksandar Mitov
            www.renarvisuals.com
            office@renarvisuals.com

3ds Max 2023.2.2 + Vray 6 Update 2.1
            AMD Ryzen 9 9950X 16-core
            64GB DDR5
            GeForce RTX 3090 24GB + GPU Driver 551.86

Comment

Working...
            X