Importing from Inventor and Rendering

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Importing from Inventor and Rendering

When I Import my models from Inventor as a body object or mesh, the topology is very little and there are ngons. Do i still have to convert to an editable ploy and clean up ngons in order to apply a textures for a detailed render? The models are clean when imported and look nice.

ps.

I guess what I am asking is what is the correct workflow?

Comment

I work a lot with imported from inventor or other software models (sat,step) and inside 3dsmax as Body Object . in my experience no need to convert them to epoly unless to u need to modify them .

Comment

what about adding a texture to the models that would require UVWunwrapping? Is it still ok to keep as Body Object?

Comment

Originally posted by CMP_Design View Post
          what about adding a texture to the models that would require UVWunwrapping? Is it still ok to keep as Body Object?
          In that case you should probably convert to Mesh/Poly first since any change to the Body Object (like changing tessellation, joining surfaces etc) will change the vertex number/order and any information stored in the Unwrap modifier will be lost. Keep in mind this applies to Unwrap only, not the UVWModifier - that one will continue to work since it 'projects' mapping on the fly.

One tip - if you convert Body Objects to Mesh/Poly, a lot of vertices will not be welded which makes it impossible to unwrap properly. In that case, use the ProOptimizer modifier, enable 'Merge Vertices' with a tiny threshold, press Calculte and convert to Mesh/Poly. Now all vertices will be welded and Unwrap will work just like with any other mesh.

Comment

Ok. Thanks for the advice. Looks like i'm heading in the right direction.

Comment

Working...
            X