Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• So client wants this lighting and feel

Hi guys,
    I know I posted about this several times, but I would so like for chaos guys to gives some cheat codes. Like how to make several types of interiors and tell us how to do them. Just light intensities/camera settings etc. Sometimes I use just rect lights on windows, sometimes hdr dome lighting....I experiment.
    Now client saw this
    https://www.tolkointeriors.ru/oskoguestfloor
    And wants me to do it like this. For this (my/their) project I used sunset hdri so I'll switch to cold white rects and soft sun, but was wondering if anyone can dissect these renders in the link and tell me what they did differently. Is it a good postproduction or what?
    These are my current renders of the project...I think we share the "guilt", client and I, that our renders aren't as good as theirs. They use shiny surfaces (stone) etc. and different type of interior, more fancy.
    But also, I believe I can do better.
    Attached Files
    www.hrvojedesign.com

Originally posted by Crayox13 View Post
    Hi guys,
    I know I posted about this several times, but I would so like for chaos guys to gives some cheat codes. Like how to make several types of interiors and tell us how to do them. Just light intensities/camera settings et
    Seriously? Just learn how to properly light / expose a scene. Your scene is underexposed. Besides your client saw a completely different interior (almost entirely windows all around), different materials etc. I don't like it when clients give reference images to a project that is miles away from the design you need to do, and then hope that you magically will transform their ugly designs to something similar.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Vizioen; 16-11-2018, 03:18 AM.
    A.

---------------------
    www.digitaltwins.be

Comment

A newer one, still working on some things. A bit better but still not the way I want it.
      Attached Files
      www.hrvojedesign.com

Comment

What I do is light my scene and I use the VFB's exposure slider to lighten it up so it looks correct, then I adjust my camera's exposure to match. As long as I don't have 100% blacks and 100% whites, I am good. Also, you would be surprised how wall using Photoshops color match to make one image look like another.
        Bobby Parker
        www.bobby-parker.com
        e-mail: info@bobby-parker.com
        phone: 2188206812

My current hardware setup:
        • Ryzen 9 5900x CPU
        • 128gb Vengeance RGB Pro RAM
        • NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4090
        • ​Windows 11 Pro

Comment

Better but bump on the table is way way too strong, carpet need some works..

Originally posted by Vizioen View Post
          ...I don't like it when clients give reference images to a project that is miles away from the design you need to do, and then hope that you magically will transform their ugly designs to something similar.
          Anyway, I'm soooo agree with you ! and this is the case here....
          (Sorry for my bad english)

Comment

Originally posted by Vizioen View Post

Seriously? Just learn how to properly light / expose a scene.
            LOL, tough but fair... and true. Think of it this way, don't try to simulate the lighting, rather design the lighting as an architectural photographer would.

Comment

I did a quick PS Match Color. Those front vases are extremely distracting; they have no cast shadow.

Bobby Parker
              www.bobby-parker.com
              e-mail: info@bobby-parker.com
              phone: 2188206812

My current hardware setup:
              • Ryzen 9 5900x CPU
              • 128gb Vengeance RGB Pro RAM
              • NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4090
              • ​Windows 11 Pro

Comment

Yeah it's pretty much just an overcast sky blooming in the window - a domelight with a white value would nearly do it! As Ashley said, you'd need a lot of windows in the design to get a similar look.

Bertrand benoit has a few tips here too - https://bertrand-benoit.com/blog/quick-scandi-look/

Comment

Thanks, I see what you mean. Bertrands tutorial is quite good also.
                  Here's an update. I know some of my lights have flare and aren't on, but that's the clients wish, and I think putting lights everywhere would wash everything out...I know feel it's a bit washed out too. I just can't hit that spot where shadows are bright but the render doesn't feel washed out like in that link.
                  Attached Files
                  www.hrvojedesign.com

Comment

See can you do a version where you turn off the sunlight cashing sharp shadows in the window and only light with your skylight - it'll be very very soft and directionless, kinda similar to the reference looks. It'll likely still be more constrasty than the refs since there isn't light coming in from all sides but it'll be as close as you can get it!

Comment

The images he provided are lit by a very diffuse, very white light. The entire colour palette is very muted with the only real colour coming from the timber & gold. Your images have a stronger directional light (honestly I'd probably just light the scene with a white dome light) and the interior design you've been given has far more colour than that of the reference.
                      Check out my (rarely updated) blog @ http://macviz.blogspot.co.uk/

www.robertslimbrick.com

Cache nothing. Brute force everything.

Comment

Originally posted by Macker View Post
                        The images he provided are lit by a very diffuse, very white light. The entire colour palette is very muted with the only real colour coming from the timber & gold. Your images have a stronger directional light (honestly I'd probably just light the scene with a white dome light) and the interior design you've been given has far more colour than that of the reference.
                        Totally agree, this is why you don't have to give a shit about references
                        (Sorry for my bad english)

Comment

Macker makes a good point about the color palette being muted with timber and gold colors. Just grabbing one of the inspiration images you can compare side by side your rendering with the reference rendering. Start to play with your own renderings color in post. Of course all these other comments about tweaking the lighting in the 3d scene should also help the overall quality of the space.

my quick Photoshop - https://my.pcloud.com/publink/show?c...jaHe1k5RJlwyok
                          Attached Files
                          Brendan Coyle | www.brendancoyle.com

Comment

Working...
                          X