• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• stanford ply models

Hi,

I downloaded some of the scanned files from this link:
    http://graphics.stanford.edu/data/3Dscanrep/

and converted them to vrmesh.

I tried the buddha, dragon, bunny and lucy. They all render well, except for lucy. When I try to render with GI, whatever method (qmc, IR map) max just quits. When I try five times, it quits at five different times. Ram for max doesn't exceed 600Mb and I have 3GB in my system.

This file is rendered by chaos as stated on the website, so it should be possible. Ok it's 28million polygons but I thought vrmesh should be able to handle this.

Anyone else tried this before?

Wouter
    Aversis 3D | Download High Quality HDRI Maps | Vray Tutorials | Free Texture Maps

it also crashes without GI and with the dynamic memory option turned on.

But it renders a bit longer than with GI
    Aversis 3D | Download High Quality HDRI Maps | Vray Tutorials | Free Texture Maps

Comment

Hmm, I've tried Lucy many times quite successfully - it's one of the tests that each VRay build must go through before release. I suppose something could have gone wrong during the conversion to .vrmesh though.

Best regards,
      Vlado
      I only act like I know everything, Rogers.

Comment

hey flipside... I have had no issues with it... I'm assuming you have the latest version of Vray? Maybe try versioning back a few?

Comment

Made a few tests here - seems fine so far with the latest build.

Best regards,
          Vlado

Comment

Gonna convert it again, we'll see if it works then.

Am I right to download the "Vripped reconstruction" file and not the "range data"?

Memory isn't really going that high, but could it be there is a problem with my ram? I installed 2GB extra (had 1GB before). Is there a way to make sure my RAM works ok? When I have many apps open, taskmanager easily goes to 2GB in total. I never rendered a scene that needed more than 2GB. I just installed the new ram to be able to work in photoshop or another max scene while rendering.

I read somewhere about bios not detecting ram properly, I installed the latest bios version but this didn't make any difference.

What can I do to make a simple scene that requires loads of ram? Just wanna test my PC and also the 3GB switch. Whatever I do, RAM usage is always low with vray Even my test with 26000 trees (vraymeshes) didn't use much ram...

wouter

Comment

Mmmm it won't work.

First of all, is this normal:

It performs each task a few times, I didn't notice this while converting the other models.

I tried again with the new converted lucy.
              Then when rendering (simply imported vrmesh, only default max light) it suddenly stops and CPU usage drops to zero for max. But it didn't crash now, it just stops. When I cancel the rendering, I need to shut down max with task manager because it's frozen.

I'm on winXP pro SP1, max 5.1, dual xeon 2.8 and 3GB ram.

Also, why is VM size always equal to ram usage for a specific program (in general, this is not only with the lucy file)

Any ideas?

wouter

Comment

I can imagine the render crashing, but freezing it with 0 CPU usage is somewhat weird. It could be either a memory problem, or a hard-drive problem. I think there was a program that checks system memory, I'll try to search for it.

Best regards,
                Vlado

Comment

I made a testscene with lots of trees and cars, all copies, not instanced. When Ram usage for max reaches 2GB it crashes - runtime error and lot's of errors in vraylog (with 3Gb switch turned on). I assume this is normal because the total amount of ram being used is higher. Don't know if I should be able to reach above 2GB for max only if I have 3GB installed. If I turn on dynamic option, and play with the limit, it also crashes when it reaches 2GB, with the limit lower it renders fine. Without the 3GB switch it crashes at 1.2Gb or something.
                  Taskmanager says also this:
                  memory usage 2273/7042MB
                  I have my VM size set to 4096, don't know if that's too much.
                  This is all with my new testfile!

The lucy file still won't render.

Kind regards,

wouter

Comment

You can try send me the Lucy scene (without the actual .vrmesh file since I have it), in case there is something specific in the setup.

Best regards,
                    Vlado

Comment

I didn't set up anything... No materials, only max default lights etc... Simply opened max, placed vrmesh, rotated it and hit render (only changed render region division to 32 and render output to 480*360)

I just had a similar crash with another of these models. I placed the xyzrgb_statue and xyzrgb_dragon in file. Seperately they renderd fine, together the same kin of crash, simply quitting max. Will test some more!

Comment

Hmm, I also got it to crash on one of the dual HT machines here, although it was fine on my machine... I'm investigating this now...

Best regrads,
                        Vlado

Comment

Yup, it works fine without HT here!

Comment

Yeah, I was looking a long time for a reproducible problem with HT machines... hopefully this will be helpful.

Best regards,
                            Vlado

Comment

I've downloaded the files, but I don't have any idea on how to get them into max.

Can anyone give a light on how to do this?

Comment

Working...
                              X