Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Saving to OpenEXR with lossy DWAA/DWAB compression - directly from 3ds max/V-Ray?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Saving to OpenEXR with lossy DWAA/DWAB compression - directly from 3ds max/V-Ray?

Is there a way to render directly from max with V-Ray to EXR with DWAA/DWAB visually lossless compression?
    I know that VRImage to EXR converter supports it as an output format, but that would require that I render out as .vrimg first (I like to keep my passes in separate sequences) - and VRimage to EXR converter has no input support for EXR.

Currently my workflow is to render out to EXR using the default settings and then converting my passes in After Effects, but this is cumbersome for a variety of reasons; It's an extra step, and many passes need to be renamed after being rendered out from AE.
    http://henrikbclausen.com

Did you look at the VRayOptionRE render element?
    Kind Regards,
    Morne

Comment

If you output exr directly from VRay framebuffer, you can use DWAA.
      You don't "have to" render to vrimgfirst.

Comment

Thanks for the pointers!
        I was not aware of the option in VrayOptionRE and have just run a few tests with it. I cannot get it to produce the wanted results though.

I have added the render element and selected DWAA as compression and enabled "use dwa compression level" and set that to 90 - but when opening the saved output in After Effects it is identified as compression with ZIP16 (and the file size is comparable to a default exr render with not OptionRE added).
        Outputs are being saved both from max's Common/Save File and V-Ray's Frame buffer rolldown.

Attached is a max 2018/vray next update 1 scene file I have been testing with.
        Attached Files

Comment

I'm having some issues downloading the .rar file; maybe try as a .zip file or email it to me at vlado@chaosgroup.com ? In any case, VRayOptionRE works only on OpenEXR files written through the "V-Ray raw image file" output option of V-Ray, and not on the standard 3ds Max OpenEXR output. For the 3ds Max output, you will have to ask Autodesk to implement support.

Best regards,
          Vlado
          I only act like I know everything, Rogers.

Comment

Originally posted by gandhics View Post
            If you output exr directly from VRay framebuffer, you can use DWAA.
            You don't "have to" render to vrimgfirst.
            How? Can you list the steps?
            Aleksandar Mitov
            www.renarvisuals.com
            office@renarvisuals.com

3ds Max 2023.2.2 + Vray 6 Update 2.1
            AMD Ryzen 7950X 16-core
            64GB DDR5
            GeForce RTX 3090 24GB + GPU Driver 551.86

Comment

Just type and EXR file name in the "V-Ray raw image file" field (and make sure the extension is .exr)

Best regards,
              Vlado

Comment

Got it, thanks!
                Aleksandar Mitov
                www.renarvisuals.com
                office@renarvisuals.com

3ds Max 2023.2.2 + Vray 6 Update 2.1
                AMD Ryzen 7950X 16-core
                64GB DDR5
                GeForce RTX 3090 24GB + GPU Driver 551.86

Comment

vlado So that means the any render elements saved - even with "Separate render channels" enabled - will not get the additional EXR compression options applied?

I know that many people love getting all their passes put into a single EXR file, but I still prefer to have each pass saved as a separate sequence...

I have made a feature request for Autodesk to implement the DWAA + DWAB option in 3ds max:
                  https://forums.autodesk.com/t5/3ds-m.../idi-p/8469038

Comment

Originally posted by HenrikBC View Post
                    vlado...with "Separate render channels" enabled - will not get the additional EXR compression options applied?
                    We use the 3ds Max OpenEXR saver in that case, so any compression options are controlled from there.

Best regards,
                    Vlado

Comment

vlado Got it. I will cross my fingers, toes and legs hoping that Autodesk will add DWAA + DWAB as a core EXR feature in 3ds max.

Comment

Working...
                      X