• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ok...

I take al look...
    My Flickr

Comment

I have the same result on another computer on the network with XP 32 bits...

Same error...

Best regards...
      My Flickr

Comment

Got a minute to look it up, and came across this post..
        http://groups.google.com/group/micro...ac3fd54668a4c4

which seems to imply that you cannot access GetObject() from an HTM file.. if you rename your htm to hta.. or remove the .htm from the end of the current filename and try again it will run as a local program instead of running in the 'internet' space.

give that a try

PS. Nice reel
        Dave Buchhofer. // Vsaiwrk

Comment

Yyyyeeeeaaaaaa.......... you're the best...

The application work well...

Thanks a lot...

It was the solution... Thanks...
          My Flickr

Comment

Thank you... Thank you... Thank you... Thank you... Thank you... Thank you... Thank you... Thank you... Thank you... Thank you... Thank you... Thank you... Thank you... Thank you... Thank you... Thank you... Thank you... Thank you... Thank you... Thank you... Thank you... Thank you... Thank you... Thank you... Thank you... Thank you... Thank you... Thank you... Thank you...
            My Flickr

Comment

Sure, i like it too

Its not perfect, but its a damn sight better than the alternative when you have 25 machines to keep track of

Comment

Thomas, mailed you twice now and it hasn't seemed to go through, so i'll post it here too..

Hola Thomas,

Being able to kill but not start makes me think it may be a Path
                problem. what directory do you have your Max installed at? (For
                instance: C:\3dsmax8\ is mine.) i'm thinking there might be an issue
                if its installed in for instance the Program Files directory, since i
                never took into account for there being a possible space in the file
                path. if this is it, then we can work around it by using the DOS name
                of the directory in the ini file path.

We can get this through the Command prompt.. Start, Run, cmd.exe. in
                there type dir /x. That will display the 'short' names for the
                directories that have spaces or are too long. If we're looking for the
                Program files, MINE is "C:\PROGRA~1\Autodesk\3dsmax8"

If thats not the problem, we can try a few other things.

Lets see if you can do it via the command prompt first and see what
                options may be hard coded into the little app that are causing
                problems.

1. Start Menu, Run, cmd.exe
                2. psexec \\ComputerName -u Domain\Login -p Password -i -d
                C:\Maxlocation\vrayspawner60.exe
                that will start spawner on the target machine.. if not then we can try this
                3. psexec \\ComputerName -i -d C:\Maxlocation\vrayspawner60.exe
                that will try and start it without the user credentials

at worst that should at least give you time to read any error that
                comes back from it.

which was in response to his mail:
                hi dave

one question belonging your slave utilities please...

i can locally kill the max.exe, but i canĀ“t start vrayspawner or maxBB locally with your program...further i can ping the slaves, but i canĀ“t start or kill something.

we have NO password for the administrator login...doesnĀ“t it work without?, is there no placeholder for " no password"?

coulĀ“d this be the problem...i followed all the instructions in the vrayforum.

thanks for your work ... and your help

thomes

Comment

hi dave

dave first thanks for you time and your help...

now after sending you 2 mails with no response, i thought to have a look here in...it seems that you or me have mailing problems...i had a look at the spam folder but i didnĀ“t find anything...
                  btw...the post you posted here came through...

so we better try it this way...

after giving a password to the admin-domain and editing your app to the differnet pathes in max9 belonging network-path...vrayspawner90-name... a.o.
                  now i have only a little problem...

... max9 is by default installed with the name... 3ds space max space 9
                  ...so i canĀ“t get it to run with the space between...
                  do you have an idea how to edit your ini to match the default maxinstallation with the spaces between (3ds_max_9)...cause i dont want to change the installation name...

thanks again for help
                  thomes

Comment

i think you can replace it in the ini with 3DSMAX~1

doing some updates for max9.. since they changed all kindsa shit will post results when i get some time.

Comment

hi dave

youĀ“re the man... it works...

two little things...

- closing vrayspawner process needs quite a minute to close it...you make it by killing the spawner...could it not been done faster by the exit command ?

- starting the pskill process sometimes hangs, and even by stopping the service i canĀ“t use it again...it always hangs up... i have to restart the system...

thanks for help

thomes

Comment

- starting the pskill process sometimes hangs, and even by stopping the service i canĀ“t use it again...it always hangs up... i have to restart the system...
                        Same problem...
                        My Flickr

Comment

I'm running into the pskill problem also.. I'm not sure what is going on, as it works fine the first time i run it, but then it will hang up and never connect when i try and kill a second process.

I dont reboot to fix it, it seems to simply work again after an as yet, undetermined length of time

Comment

dropping a few clarifications that pop in through email on the thread also for future reference.

Hi Dave

I hope you don't mind me asking two noob questions regarding your slave utilities.

I've followed the instructions, but there are some things I'm not so sure of. Do Slave_Utils_v10.5.1.hta and the VNC Viewer need to copied over to the slaves? The login/password would be my log-in info so that when you reboot a slave it can log it's selv in? There is also mention about sharing a drive, which drive would that be?

Kind regards
                            William

No problem William,

Its not the most err.. Robust of tools, But it gets the job done pretty well.

I recommend installing Tightvnc on all the slave machines.. its a free utility that works great. If you install it as a service you can login to the machine through the vnc viewer remotely.
                            http://www.tightvnc.com/

if security isn't too much of an issue you can use the Microsoft powertoy 'TweakUI' to have the machine log in automatically when it reboots
                            http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/d...powertoys.mspx

As for shares, i simply have a local share on each machine of C:\ named as C with my workgroups users allowed to view/edit it. Thats up to you, its helpful for me as we keep a local folder sync'd with some of our larger assets (damned RPC's and whatnot) and its good to be able to view and copy and easily install plugins and things. It makes it easier to open the remote copy of the Vraylog and open up the max/network dir to debug some distributed rendering.

Cheers,
                            Dave.

Comment

Hello there,

Also having the pskill hang problem here.
                              It seems to happens very quickly after 3 or 4 start/stop sessions.
                              Makes the application a little less awesome than it should be !

Would it be a workaround or some additional tools we could use to kill the processes when it's happening ?

Thank you very much

SMaX

Comment

Ok i tried to manually correct that problem and i managed to do it:
                                I did a small modification (for my personal use of course) of the code, replacing 3 lines of code in the .hta which are all the pskill by taskkill (and the correct switch syntax), works fine now ! no more hangs.

I know have one remaining problem is "mapped network drive"
                                I'm trying to run a .bat at the startup of each machine in the renderfarm like so:
                                net use [driveletter] /delete
                                net use [driveletter] \\[path]

Doesn't seem to accept jobs with mapped drives though when server are launched from Dave's slave utils.

Anything i'm doing wrong here ?
                                Thank you very much

SMaX

Comment

Working...
                                X