forum ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• forum ?

Hmmm, quite awhile ago, I had my forum settings so that when I searched or chose "What's New?" I would just see sections pertinent to my application, etc. (i.e. Vray for max...)
    Now it's not working and I cannot figure out how to exclude the extra content.

Thanks.

That changed a long time ago with the new forum. I think that was part of the forums slow death, or what looks to be a much quieter forum.
    Bobby Parker
    www.bobby-parker.com
    e-mail: info@bobby-parker.com
    phone: 2188206812

My current hardware setup:
    • Ryzen 9 5900x CPU
    • 128gb Vengeance RGB Pro RAM
    • NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4090
    • ​Windows 11 Pro

Comment

Originally posted by glorybound View Post
      . I think that was part of the forums slow death, or what looks to be a much quieter forum.
      Agreed. It seemed that when there were fewer posts to keep up on it was a bit more active. If I don't keep up for a few days there's just so many posts to review and I click Mark All Read and move on....

www.dpict3d.com - "That's a very nice rendering, Dave. I think you've improved a great deal." - HAL9000... At least I have one fan.

Comment

I agree it would be nice to keep the lesser 3d CAD package forums like rhino, sketchup etc hidden
        i really only want to read about max, maya and phoenix

Comment

That changed a long time ago with the new forum. I think that was part of the forums slow death, or what looks to be a much quieter forum.
          I'd call it quieter.
          I also like to think it's for two very good reasons:
          a) it's now indexed in google, so content is easier to find without re-asking the same question over and over again (and get replied to with "use forum search" or "forum search is your friend"), and
          b) the way V-Ray works post v3.3 makes most of the old traffic on these forums unneeded: no one has asked a subdivs question in ages, or needed a script to mass-change a scene based on this or that heuristic, because V-Ray cares for that automatically.

What's left are a few bug reports, and some procedural question here and there, most of which have already been answered a few times over, somewhere in here.
          Only a personal reading of the affair, however, not quite substantiated by an accurate number analysis.
          Lele
          Trouble Stirrer in RnD @ Chaos
          ----------------------
          emanuele.lecchi@chaos.com

Disclaimer:
          The views and opinions expressed here are my own and do not represent those of Chaos Group, unless otherwise stated.

Comment

Agreed definite bummer, and thanks, at least I'm not completely losing my mind!.

Comment

Yeah it's not great. Killed off the community side of the forum. Maybe vlado / lele didnt really like the ambient chatter of people 'hanging out', but it's gone now and the place is much drier with much less work being shared.
              it's genuinely time consuming & too much effort to catch up with what everyone is up to on the max/phoenix side of things so it has turned into a support-only forum. maybe as intended.
              Last edited by Neilg; 08-01-2019, 09:11 AM.

Comment

I don't think so because the support has also been a lot slower, too. I do think that because V-Ray has gotten a lot easier to use there aren't as many questions asked now, which is a cause for a lot of the slowdown.
                Bobby Parker
                www.bobby-parker.com

• Ryzen 9 5900x CPU
                • ​Windows 11 Pro

Comment

Originally posted by Neilg View Post
                  Yeah it's not great. Killed off the community side of the forum. Maybe vlado / lele didnt really like the ambient chatter of people 'hanging out'
                  We've all been at this for so long, i'd think it natural that some of the usage would change a bit, in the space of fifteen years.
                  The advent of socials, the diffusion of fast internet, people doing different things with their lives.
                  Physiological, wouldn't you think?
                  Nothing to like or dislike, btw, it is what it is, there's no hidden scheming, or it's hidden from me too.
                  I'd love to be 25 again though!
                  Lele
                  Trouble Stirrer in RnD @ Chaos
                  ----------------------
                  emanuele.lecchi@chaos.com

Disclaimer:
                  The views and opinions expressed here are my own and do not represent those of Chaos Group, unless otherwise stated.

Comment

I simply miss that one customizable feature.

Comment

I am not sure Chaos appreciated how important the forum was to their company. I came to V-Ray from using Lightscape. V-Ray cost a lot more and once given access to the forums and its support, the cost was more than justified, for just having access to the forum. Currently, and for the last several years, the forum is a ghost town. I peruse through sites like Behance and most were not created in V-Ray. Is this a coincidence in timing? I am American, so it might be different elsewhere, but exclusivity sells. When people were frustrated with the new forum and not being able to access their boards easily, nothing was done and I think people stopped visiting. This is all my opinion, of course.
                      Bobby Parker
                      www.bobby-parker.com

• Ryzen 9 5900x CPU
                      • ​Windows 11 Pro

Comment

Working...
                      X