Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Open g-buffer save dialog box with maxscript, how?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Open g-buffer save dialog box with maxscript, how?

So I'm trying to open the save dialog box for separat render channels with maxscript. The vray g-buffer dialog box, in other words. I can't find any documented command for that. Am I blind, or can someone route me to the right url or command?'
    Thank you!

I'm not sure I totally understand the question,.
    The G Buffer is 3dsMax related and not Vray ?
    So, from this start point, render elements script references;
    http://docs.autodesk.com/3DSMAX/16/E...ber=d30e588715
    After this, You can add a VrayExtraTex render element, in wich you can use a VrayMultiSubTex to sort out the different ObjectID you need as a separate render channel.
    Alain Blanchette
    www.pixistudio.com

Comment

It's a 3ds Max dialog, I don't think we have a MaxScript command to open it specifically. It's the same as any 3ds Max Bitmap browse dialog (f.e. for the regular 3ds Max output). Maybe there is an example on how to open it in the 3ds Max render to texture script. The resulting PB Bitmap value can be assigned to the "output_splitbitmap" MaxScript parameter of the V-Ray renderer.

Best regards,
      Vlado
      I only act like I know everything, Rogers.

Comment

Thanks. I visually see that it's the same dialog box, but I assumed that it was a modified version of it, since the dialog title names are different: "Render Output File" as max dialog vs "Select V-Ray G-Buffers file name" as the one accessible from Vray->Frame buffer rollout.
        I'm making a "scene state checker"-script to enhance our intern workflow, a script that makes it easier for us to not forget to check or uncheck anything before sending to our farm. Next to the save-slot-check, there a button which should enable the separate render channels box (which works), and opens the dialog so that the path could be set with flexibility in the file structure setup. I could of course deep further into it and see how flexible I can make a GUI field that makes use of output_splitbitmap, but ... All I want is that command for opening the dialog box.

But mabe it's like you're saying, that there's no maxscript command to open that dialog box. I can't find it in any documentation or on any forum, after all.

Comment

Should be the standard max command. For output files you can either type the name and path of your render file name directly, or you can set it to one of the standard windows for picking a file to open or to set a file name:

Code:
          -- set vr as a shortcut to the current renderer for handiness

vr = renderers.current

-- turn on separate render channels

vr.output_splitgbuffer = on

-- set the output file to a window that pops up asking you to set a name, notice if you hit cancel it'll error out!

vr.output_splitfilename = getSaveFileName caption:"choose your output name" filename:"c:/test_.exr"

Comment

Originally posted by joconnell View Post
            Should be the standard max command. For output files you can either type the name and path of your render file name directly, or you can set it to one of the standard windows for picking a file to open or to set a file name:

Code:

vr = renderers.current

-- set the output file to a window that pops up asking you to set a name, notice if you hit cancel it'll error out!

vr.output_splitfilename = getSaveFileName caption:"choose your output name" filename:"c:/test_.exr"

Definitely on the right course here, but this dialog box doesn't give me the setup button nor the gamma settings, like the normal render output path dialog, which is preferable. Maybe that's just an extra parameter or a different command?

Comment

All good!

Code:

vr = renderers.current  

vr.output_splitfilename = SelectSaveBitmap caption:"Select a file" gamma:1.0
              Slightly better but gamma still being pissy - I'll enquire with some smarter people and see if I find anything. When I used to do sanity check things like this I'd manually write the exr options like compression type and float level rather than let the user choose them - there's a preferred format that nuke likes for example.

Last edited by joconnell; 25-01-2019, 11:07 AM. Reason: Edited for formatting

Comment

One of the smart people in here reckon there isn't another way to get the gamma to work, since this dialog is mainly getting a filename you can easily put on gamma options afterwards though using fileoutgamma=1.0 or 2.2 or whatever you want. Autodesk are veering towards having automatic options working for all these bits. I'm on max 2016 so there may be other options in newer releases but the smart people didn't have anything coming to mind.

Comment

Thanks for checking that out. Well, it might be the best option available for my need.

Comment

Working...
                  X