net rendering, memory usage.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• net rendering, memory usage.

bit of an odd one this.. im trying to render an animation, damn big file, just on the edge of renderability... however when i send to net render and check how the renderboxes are getting on, i have very different memory usage on each machine... bearing in mind this is a set of 5 identical machines (dual xeon 3gig with 2 gb ram each and 3/gb switch, running win2k (yeah i would have liked xp, but hmm, thats another story..)

anyway, ive been getting a load of unhandled exceptions, and not a lot of finished frames.. checking the mem usage, some of them are happily rendering away using 550 mb ram, whereas others use 1.7 gb and fall over... this is identical machines working on images that are practically identical (1 or 2 frames apart, slow moving cam)

anyone got any ideas?

also, it really does seem that the rendernodes are using more ram to render (the ones that are using a lot at least) than my workstation, which has the whole of max open and a load of undos in memory...

most odd.

haha considering another post of yours discussing the size of your file and the amount of textures, Im surprised you haven't posted this problem before now...

what version of vray? Its probably in that other post, but i cant seem to find it.

"Sometimes life leaves a hundred dollar bill on your dresser, and you don't realize until later that it's because it fu**ed you."

Comment

ah the latest one... .15

yeah its a big one... been optimising it till it renders for the last month or so.. just odd that identical machines would use such drastically different amounts of ram...

Comment

Yeah, that is really odd, If i were to make a shot in the dark i would guess maybe it has to do with the bitmap pager not taking the global setting on some of the boxes.
        Eric Boer
        Dev

Comment

Have you tried disabling hyperthreading? Our rendering was very unstable with complex scenes until we disabled it (all identical and similar spec to your own systems)
          Kind Regards,
          Richard Birket
          ----------------------------------->
          http://www.blinkimage.com

----------------------------------->

Comment

ill check it out... no point in having it on anyway, since someone at work thought they would save money by getting 2k instead of xp with our shiny new renderboxes

Comment

win2k doesn't support hyperthreading???

"Sometimes life leaves a hundred dollar bill on your dresser, and you don't realize until later that it's because it fu**ed you."

Comment

Originally posted by percydaman
                win2k doesn't support hyperthreading???
                nope
                Chris
                The Revitlution

Comment

Working...
                X