3Ds Max - Slow loading/xref/merging times

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 3Ds Max - Slow loading/xref/merging times

I am experiencing extremely long merge and xref delays. It takes approximately 4 hours before 3dsmax (tried 2018.4 & 2019.3) returns. I have a large Revit model (approximately 18 million polys; 800 objects) in the scene that I have tried to xref out of the scene. The xref file only takes 15 minutes to save. I don't know what is causing the long delay after that. When I try to merge a simple object, all of the standard merge dialogues come up quickly but, once merged 3dsmax locks up for hours.

I have tried this thread's solution scripts, cleared retimers, ran a Cleaner script, check my units from scene to scene, reduced scene size, etc.

The scene itself loads, saves and renders with now major issue, minus the fact that it's about 400mb compressed.

Could the Security Tools be causing the delay?

Any help would be appreciated!

PS. Sorry for posting a 3dsMax issue here but, honestly I have always received better support here on 3dsMax related issues (I have posted this to the Autodesk forum as well)
    Neal Biggs

3D Generalist | Freelance | Founder | Big5 Studio
    http://big5studio.com/

3ds Max 2022 - V-Ray5 Update 2.2

Are you on the latest MAX? I had a problem a while back and it was a bug that was fixed. Oops... I see you wrote what version.
    Bobby Parker
    www.bobby-parker.com
    e-mail: info@bobby-parker.com
    phone: 2188206812

My current hardware setup:
    • Ryzen 9 5900x CPU
    • 128gb Vengeance RGB Pro RAM
    • NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4090
    • ​Windows 11 Pro

Comment

I heavily relay on vray mesh instead of Xref. That only works if you use Multisub mtls (I believe the export dialogue can create one if you didn't). This has various advantages. Better ram management, low poly preview mesh and fast scene loading times.
      The only downside is the export time and file size for deforming geo. So if I want to throw deforming stuff out of my scene I still use xref.
      Convert everything to editable mesh might help if you want to stick to xref. Did you try to merge the ixrefed scene into a new scene? That can fix tings sometimes. 15 mins is a huge saving time Imo. I have scenes with 50k+ objects and 100m+ polys that save much faster..
      Last edited by Ihno; 28-01-2019, 10:28 AM.
      German guy, sorry for my English.

Comment

Originally posted by Ihno View Post
        I heavily relay on vray mesh instead of Xref. That only works if you use Multisub mtls (I believe the export dialogue can create one if you didn't). This has various advantages. Better ram management, low poly preview mesh and fast scene loading times.
        The only downside is the export time and file size for deforming geo. So if I want to throw deforming stuff out of my scene I still use xref.
        Convert everything to editable mesh might help if you want to stick to xref. Did you try to merge the ixrefed scene into a new scene? That can fix tings sometimes. 15 mins is a huge saving time Imo. I have scenes with 50k+ objects and 100m+ polys that save much faster..
        I agree. I prefer vray mesh to Xref but the Revit model still needs a ton of things fixed on it, plus materials. Generally I keep the Revit model editable and proxy props/entourage. I've tried to convert the Revit to xref and I've tried to save select out the model and then xref it back in.

The issue is whatever is causing 3dsMax to hang for hours when I try to merge or xref. It eventually does it come back (hours later)...typically only to lockup/crash on save.
        Neal Biggs

Comment

Here is a link to my merge headache. I think you tried everything already.

https://forums.autodesk.com/t5/3ds-m...t/true#M161422
          Bobby Parker
          www.bobby-parker.com

• Ryzen 9 5900x CPU
          • ​Windows 11 Pro

Comment

Originally posted by glorybound View Post
            Here is a link to my merge headache. I think you tried everything already.

https://forums.autodesk.com/t5/3ds-m...t/true#M161422
            Yep, read it, tried it ... I never have these issues when all of the work is my own. Getting files from clients is going to make me prematurely age. LOL
            Neal Biggs

Comment

Yeah, I am dying on a Revit model right now.
              Bobby Parker
              www.bobby-parker.com

• Ryzen 9 5900x CPU
              • ​Windows 11 Pro

Comment

I feel your pain hahaha...it's funny because it's true.
                Neal Biggs

Comment

I feel your pain!

I avoid linking/xrefing revit files into max, and this is one of many reasons why. If the client hasn't organized and built the file in the correct way you can run into problems importing. Live linking too, nope, avoid.

In my experience, the whole Revit to Max process feels poorly implemented and buggy so I always ask for an .fbx export instead. You will have to spend sometime with an .fbx in max attaching objects/organizing things into layers again, but it's worth while, you will also be able to optimize the model so that it's clean and void of any junk the Revit file may bring in with it.

Comment

What Dan said. I never link a Revit file. Especially when it's a hospital or some huge building. It's an enormous pain. I just received a revit file of a simpel semi detached villa and it took me a day to clean it up and make it workable, don't make me mention how many objects I had to redraw, because forget using displacement on any BIM geometry. BIM models unfortunately are no VIZ models.
                    A.

---------------------
                    www.digitaltwins.be

Comment

Originally posted by Vizioen View Post
                      What Dan said. I never link a Revit file. Especially when it's a hospital or some huge building. It's an enormous pain. I just received a revit file of a simpel semi detached villa and it took me a day to clean it up and make it workable, don't make me mention how many objects I had to redraw, because forget using displacement on any BIM geometry. BIM models unfortunately are no VIZ models.
                      Yes the larger the project the bigger the issue. A 400mb Revit into max would cause problems imo.

This is my process...

Import an fbx instead, imports hundreds/thousands of objects; see layer explorer (max laggy, don't orbit or click on anything)
                      Hide all (max smooth )
                      Unhide by Revit category in layers explorer one category at a time (should be clear by the names of objects in layers list)
                      Select the resulting visible objects -> Convert Edit Poly
                      Attach
                      Weld if necessary
                      Hide
                      move onto next category.

It can take some time, it will get quicker as you porgress but the geometry is clean and max is smooth as butter by the end of it all. I rarely have to remodel anything, maybe a few glass panel at best. Depends on the complexity of the geometry.
                      Last edited by DanSHP; 29-01-2019, 03:37 AM.

Comment

I'm glad I'm not the only one! Yes, I should have mentioned the Revit models was exported to FBX files. I had to link the FBX because a direct import failed. Once they all came into Max I killed the links.

I'm in the process of gutting the model to see if in doing so the problem goes away. Thanks Ashley and Dan!
                        Neal Biggs

Comment

Possibly Polytrans by Okino could help here. I used it a loooong time ago, before Revit, though now it does have support for it.
                          I also found this http://www.scriptspot.com/3ds-max/sc...o-max-importer

Right Hemisphere used to offer something called Deep Exploration which is without a doubt the best conversion tool I have ever come across.
                          Of course, with all such brilliant stuff it was bought up by some other company who decided to not sell it. Bizarre.
                          It's now SAP Visual Enterprise Author and seems not to be the same thing but maybe worth a look on it's horrible site.

Been there/done that (with different datasets, all large) via Max only and if that's your only option then
                          fbx and loading chunks by chunks is the only way to go I think.

Happy merging!
                          https://www.behance.net/bartgelin

Comment

Originally posted by fixeighted View Post
                            Possibly Polytrans by Okino could help here. I used it a loooong time ago, before Revit, though now it does have support for it.
                            I also found this http://www.scriptspot.com/3ds-max/sc...o-max-importer

Right Hemisphere used to offer something called Deep Exploration which is without a doubt the best conversion tool I have ever come across.
                            Of course, with all such brilliant stuff it was bought up by some other company who decided to not sell it. Bizarre.
                            It's now SAP Visual Enterprise Author and seems not to be the same thing but maybe worth a look on it's horrible site.

Been there/done that (with different datasets, all large) via Max only and if that's your only option then
                            fbx and loading chunks by chunks is the only way to go I think.

Happy merging!
                            Thanks I'll take a look!
                            Neal Biggs

Comment

To clarify, the main issue I have is with the general merging and xref function locking up, not with bringing Revit data into Max. Merging a simple cube into this scene, freezes Max for hours.

I noted that this scene has a Revit model, because Revit data typically causes long delays and "silly" things to happen. The Revit model came in with no major issue and Max is functioning correctly...except for allowing me to merge objects (furniture, plants, splines...a cube) into the scene.

So right now I have a large vacant building with no props/entourage...I guess I could always use the "high quality" Revit furniture. HAHAHA

Thanks for the help!
                              Neal Biggs

Comment

Working...
                              X