Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Animating Visibility/Transparency generally implies high render times.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Animating Visibility/Transparency generally implies high render times.

Hello Folks.
    I guess it's more of a workflow question but, in the past I've sometimes had the case in which I had to animate the visibility/transparency of one or more objects.
    In most of these cases the render time in these areas went up quite a lot when the objects are semi transparent.
    I'm assuming that V-Ray interprets "visibility" just as It would interpret a grey-shade map in the opacity slot. While this seems like the most valid approach to do it, V-Ray in most cases needs to do a lot of tracing through possibly quite a lot of transparency layers. Imagine working on an animation in which you want to to "fade out" the body of a car in order to expose some part of the motor to the viewer while the camera is located outside the car. I've had cases where setting the "Max transp. Levels" to something like 750 or 1000 was not enough.

And while some people now say that "well just do it in comp" might be a valid argument, but in some cases it's just not necessary nor possible.

Now, It seems a bit basic but my question is, how do I efficiently (in terms of render times) animate the visibility/transparency of objects especially if it creates a lot of transparency layers.

btw. I've seen no render time difference between doing it on the object level, meaning 3ds max's visibility track, or doing it on the material level, meaning an animated opacity map or animating refraction with IOR=1.

Thanks for hints and tips
    -Robert

I've had cases where setting the "Max transp. Levels" to something like 750 or 1000 was not enough.

And while some people now say that "well just do it in comp" might be a valid argument, but in some cases it's just not necessary nor possible
    Well, now i'm confused as to what should be done when.
    Would you be so kind as to specify which cases warrant what approach, ideally (ie: quick and exact, infinitely layerable raytraced opacity, versus passes and comp)?
    Also, do you know of anything that's very good at the task you envision, as a term of paragon and possible inspiration?
    Lele
    Trouble Stirrer in RnD @ Chaos
    ----------------------
    emanuele.lecchi@chaos.com

Disclaimer:
    The views and opinions expressed here are my own and do not represent those of Chaos Group, unless otherwise stated.

Comment

Working...
    X