Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Spun metal material

Hi all,
    I've made this metal material and used anisotropy rather than a image map to get the spun look, but I can't figure how lighten the metal and keep the contrast/general look?

Thanks in advance for any pointers.
    Attached Files

Increase reflection IOR.

Comment

Thanks for this. I've upped the IOR to 100 and it's still not light enough, any ideas?

Comment

Can you post a render? at that point i'd suggest the issue is with the scene the material is in.

Comment

Hi Neil, here is the scene. Test.zip
          Last edited by Furnace; 08-02-2019, 10:59 AM.

Comment

Sorry, this one - Test.zip

Comment

Can't take a look at your scene, but metalness comes with its own accurate metallic IOR calculations, and the brightness is controlled with the diffuse color. With that set to white and the IOR maxed, what you have is already waaaaay brighter than any possible material, let alone metal. Here's a chart of the correct diffuse and IOR values for various metals, I'm guessing you probably want aluminum: https://www.chaosgroup.com/blog/understanding-metalness

Being so reflective, the appearance of metal is highly dependent on the scene lighting and environment reflections. If you metal doesn't look bright enough, give it something bright to reflect.
              __
              https://surfaceimperfections.com/

Comment

I would suggest turning off all your maps to narrow down the issue. I'm particularly suspicious of the glossiness map with .01 tiling. You might be only sampling black...(?)
                Current workstation Dell 5820 with nVidia Quadro RTX 4000, 32 GB RAM, Win 10pro-64.
                3D software: Max 2022 (since 3d Studio), V-Ray 6, Phoenix 5, TyFlow, Deadline 10.1.

Comment

Working...
                X