Poor lighting conditions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Poor lighting conditions

I have a project with a series of interiors. These interiors have a small window and with no textures or much detail, I am getting 3 hours + render times. What's the best way to address this? This is a common scenario. The only thing that really works is a VRay plane in the window opening.

https://files.acrobat.com/a/preview/...4-829b42316b5d
    Last edited by glorybound; 16-02-2019, 11:55 AM.
    Bobby Parker
    www.bobby-parker.com
    e-mail: info@bobby-parker.com
    phone: 2188206812

My current hardware setup:
    • Ryzen 9 5900x CPU
    • 128gb Vengeance RGB Pro RAM
    • NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4090
    • ​Windows 11 Pro

Put the VRaySky texture in a Dome light and turn on the Adaptive Dome light.
    If it was that easy, it would have already been done

Peter Matanov
    Chaos

Comment

It's very tricky, but you just need to find a lighting solution that works. Pumping light through a tiny window often doesn't work.

Instead look at how else you can use light to make for an interesting shot...

https://www.pinterest.co.uk/pin/304274518573647275/
      https://www.pinterest.co.uk/pin/ATEr...rolNEe2p1TEUE/

Comment

you dont always have to rely on Sun and sky or a dome light to light your interiors and use what ever lights to get the results you desire. After all you are creating a pretty picture, not a lighting analysis

Comment

What's wrong with the vray plane in the window trick? Put it inside the glass for even faster rendering.
          WerT
          www.dvstudios.com.au

Comment

I think there was something inherently wrong with the scene. I think I’ll reset and try again. I’ll be working on these next week.
            Bobby Parker
            www.bobby-parker.com

• Ryzen 9 5900x CPU
            • ​Windows 11 Pro

Comment

Strange behavior. I followed something someone sent and the render times fell back into what should be expected. "Add a dome light with default settings then ENABLE it's Adaptive Dome, then stick the VRaySky from the Environment into the dome's texture". To do this I deleted my V-Ray Dome and pulled a V-Ray Sun. I then dropped in a dome light and dragged/dropped the environment VRay Sky into it, enabling Adaptive Dome. I don' t know if it is the order of things, or dragging/dropping the env into the dome or what, but the render speed right up. I was adding the V-Ray Sky straight from the dome light and I would clear the environment slot.
              Bobby Parker
              www.bobby-parker.com

• Ryzen 9 5900x CPU
              • ​Windows 11 Pro

Comment

Interesting you mention the VraySky in the Dome light, and render times going up not down. I had the same issue and contacted vlado, but I have not had time to send him a scene with the issue in. It sounds like you had the same issue, but by recreating it in a different order you fixed it?

I really need to to prepare the scene for Vlado, maybe today!

Comment

Maybe I wasn't very clear when I wrote this in the first place (the thing that "something someone sent" = 2nd post in this thread).

Putting VRaySun in a scene creates VRaySky in the Env slot. In your scene, the sun doesn't lit directly the room and you are relying only on the GI from the VRaySky in the Env slot (only GI rays) which is obviously not enough for good sampling an interior. This is why you MOVE the VRaySky tex from the Env slot into a Dome VRayLight and turn the ADL on, so the light coming from the sky will not only be direct, but it will be sampled in the best possible way because of the smart ADL.
                  If it was that easy, it would have already been done

Peter Matanov
                  Chaos

Comment

I'm just testing again now with a scene I saw an increase in render times doing this method, so I'll see what happens. I am doing the exact method you describe.

Edit - Sent Vlado a couple of test scenes with both setups. In this latest test the render time has dropped around 10% with the same visible noise which is good. Since the last test where the dome was slower, we're using the latest stable Vray nightly build. Main thing that's strange is the differences in the GI/lighting/Ref/spec passes.
                    Last edited by m_hinks; 27-02-2019, 02:54 AM.

Comment

Working...
                    X