X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• VRay Swarm for 3DS Max

Hey guys,

1 - Is VRay Swarm coming to 3DS max?

2 - My limited understanding of it is that I'd be able to utilise (hopefully all of) the PC's in our office for rendering - but that it currently isn't available for max?

3 - (Hypothetically) Will these PC's still render even if their specs aren't amazing? It isn't uncommon for me to have a scene that requires 40+Gb RAM. Would this run on say a machine with 8Gb? Does the swarm take care of this?
    Check out my (rarely updated) blog @ http://macviz.blogspot.co.uk/

www.robertslimbrick.com

Cache nothing. Brute force everything.

good questions. i was wondering the same thing.

Comment

Still wondering. Do I need to take out a support ticket or something?

www.robertslimbrick.com

Comment

What's happened to these forums?

www.robertslimbrick.com

Comment

[QUOTE=Macker;n1030341]Hey guys,

1 - Is VRay Swarm coming to 3DS max?[quote]
          No idea.

2 - My limited understanding of it is that I'd be able to utilise (hopefully all of) the PC's in our office for rendering - but that it currently isn't available for max?
          You'll need to have a pc ready to accept an incoming connection of that type, and the subsequent work. Or it'd be a hack on said machine.

3 - (Hypothetically) Will these PC's still render even if their specs aren't amazing? It isn't uncommon for me to have a scene that requires 40+Gb RAM. Would this run on say a machine with 8Gb? Does the swarm take care of this?
          No it won't. It's a simpler approach to DR, not magic.

GTC is on, and most of the people active on these forums are busy and on a different timezone than yours, with slightly different day-to-day priorities for a couple of weeks.

Lele
          Trouble Stirrer in RnD @ Chaos
          ----------------------
          emanuele.lecchi@chaos.com

Disclaimer:
          The views and opinions expressed here are my own and do not represent those of Chaos Group, unless otherwise stated.

Comment

So it offers no tangible benefits to DR then (if it were to port to max)?

www.robertslimbrick.com

Comment

Well no rendernode licenses needed. Atleast thats the case for sketchup.

Comment

SWARM is just a DR manager that adds a GUI and some other automation, so you'd still need licenses to render on render nodes etc.
                It's not in 3dsMax, because unlike other V-Ray versions where a .vrscene file is exported and rendered with V-Ray standalone on the slave machine, V-Ray in 3dsMax renders via 3dsmax.exe on the render slaves.
                You can use the usual 3dsMax distributer rendering setup - it will be no less effective than a DR setup with another V-Ray version, regardless if SWARM is used or not.
                Ivan Slavchev

SysOps

Chaos Group

Comment

My mistake, didn't realise you needed RN's for the swarm...*groan*

Comment

It would be handy to do this with MAX/Deadline. I want to setup a portion of our farm as one giant DR group that will auto divide itself to a min/max. So when only one person is rendering all the machines are working on it, when 10 people are it divides by 10, or to whatever the min/max limit is. Without the user needing to intervene or set any other limit than min/max. Perhaps that can be an admin override, min of 3 machines (or cpus) and max of 20 or something like that.
                    "It's the rebels sir....They're here..."

Comment

Working...
                    X