Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best workflow for many 4k textures

Hello,
    I have been receiving a lot of models with materials created in Substance Painter. All these maps are 4k, and taking up a lot of GPU memory. I've been having to switch to On-demand mip-mapping or just batch resizing them, but I'm starting to lose detail. I was planning on requesting the height, roughness, & metalness maps compiled into a single texture and then separate them in 3ds Max, but I noticed that RGB tint isn't supported in GPU rendering. What's the best procedure to follow? I'd assume that splitting them with the RGB tint would save memory, but is that true?
    Thanks!

Anyone? Thanks!

Comment

The loose of detail might be related to filtering? Try elliptical for the textures and maybe slightly reduce the blur size parameter (at the cost of ram)
      This one is a good read (although I think not all of that applys to GPU):
      https://forums.chaosgroup.com/forum/...usage-in-v-ray
      Not sure if combining the textures will help alot. But if you have loads of assets it might.
      You can use the color correction node in custom mode and choose red, green or blue for all color channels to split it up.
      German guy, sorry for my English.

Comment

Oh cool, I didn't think about using the color correction node like that, thanks! The link you provided is a lot of heavy reading, I'll have to take some time to look through that, but thank you for the help!

Comment

Working...
        X