No announcement yet.

Soften Shadows?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

While this is obviously more important for complex and illustrative scenes than more or less isolated objects with limited lighting rigs like in your examples*, ultimately any scene can profit from this if the lighter wants to achieve localized effects, like for example strong rim lighting or emphasizing forms or surface details without overblowing or affecting the rest of the scene, and all kinds of artistic decisions (while not using these kinds of things is an artistic decision, too, of course). Being able to set light ranges and falloff directly and precisely is definitely useful for me for the same reason and while I don't pretend to know exactly what bernhard is trying to achieve (and maybe he is already happy with one of the offered solutions), I also won't pretend to know better than him what he needs. But I certainly would find a use for being able to adjust shadow and light sharpness independently on the fly.

*I decided against writing this yesterday as it's not supposed to be a dig or any kind of judgement, but could be interpreted as such. So to be clear, this is a perfectly valid way of working in my opinion and suits the subject.

Comment

cant you make a larger vray light to get softer shadows or use softbox maps to control reflections?
      seems weird and with no images explaining why its not really worth discussing.

Comment

Working...
      X