Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Need to know if there's been changes to 3ds Max 2019 in regards to gamma settings for VrayHDRI bitmaps

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need to know if there's been changes to 3ds Max 2019 in regards to gamma settings for VrayHDRI bitmaps

I didn't notice this until now, but not too long ago I upgraded to 3ds Max 2019 with the latest V-Ray Next and I just noticed when working with one of my custom shaders from previous versions the VrayHDRI bitmap, in the color space options (sRGB and inverse gamma) behave differently in the sense that for reasons I don't quite understand yet are automatically calibrated to the correct color results from the inverse gamma setting.

Normally when I'm importing bitmaps that are in tiff's, png's, or jpegs with high bit depth from separate programs like Megascans or Substance, I load them into the VrayHDRI node and manually adjust diffuse, reflect, gloss, bump, etc. into either srgb or inverse gamma to get them to their appropriate gamma setting. However, now everything loads into the inverse gamma and automatically produces the correct result without me having to alter the settings, which is fantastic for me but I don't understand what is going on.

As far as I know my linear workflow is the same as 2018, but if there's something that changed in this recently I'd like to know if AutoDesk or you guys have added a feature I wasn't aware of. If anyone can illuminate this for me I'd appreciate it.

Thanks

Hello,

The VRayHDRI texture is the same for 3ds max 2018 and 2019. By default it set for hdr maps. If you load maps with baked gamma you should change it accordingly.
    It could be set automatically according my tests, when you have jpg textures loaded in bitmap nodes and then use Bitmap to VRayHDRI converter. Then it will set them to inverse gamma 0.455 automatically.
    Martin Minev | chaos.com
    Chaos Support Representative | contact us

Comment

Working...
    X